FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - In need of opinions...
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #52
CheriS
I agree not recommending feeding them to any animals, but other animals do eat them and not seem to be affected. This is from only seeing them eat, not following the animals after, I never even thought of it. Here where I live we have to be very careful when we have the beardies outside that no fireflys are around. We have cuban brown anoles and green ones that do eat them and I have never seen one die. That not saying it may not kill them, just I have never observed it.

From articles in reptile magazines and newspaper reports they have only mentioned them in regards to bearded dragons that I had seen, thank you for the URL to the Cornell study, I can see from it that tree frogs, rock lizard and chameleons have died after eating them.

Even that study mentions the PA zoo that put them outside and the dragons died, test showed it was the fireflies, I never thought about that it could be the other reptiles that were put outside were not eating them and that may be why they were not affected. Would be interesting to see more studies.

It is a good point to avoid letting any animals eat them, better safe than sorry. From what I have read they state it is not the chemical that casue them to "light up" but a self denfense toxin.. do you know any other insects that also have this type of toxin?