FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - northern watersnake question
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Lauren
northern water snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepretty82
Does anyone know a good website where I can learn about the different color morphs of the northern watersnake? They are very abundant in my area and when I go for a walk along the creek I see another water snake or queen snake at least every 4 or 5 feet. I have found all different colors of them. The most common is grey with darker black bands and a hint of orange all over. I have seen an albino, an orange with darker orange bands no black or grey at all , and I have a beautiful light grey one with dark black bands. Is there normally this much color variation in a population?

Andrea,

Do you happen to have any pictures of the albino one that you saw?

There are alot of Northern Water snakes around where I live as well, on a warm day I can somtimes find several either in or around a creek that I live near.

Here is a link to a few pictures that show the color variations between a few Northern water snakes: http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetol...atersnake.html

Most of the water snakes around here are more of a darker coloration. This is a picture of one that I caught earlier this summer. (lo, hopfully the pic will show up)
Attached Images