FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Italian Wall Lizard care?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Ameivaboy
6 x 3 is huge for a pair. Almost too big (not for the lizards but for you viewing them)
I would think if the cage is 3-4 feet tall you could *possibly* keep 2 males and several females.
My 1.2 adult groups are in 36 x 18 x 18 cages. It did take a bit of time figuring out who was compatible with who though.

In my experience some are shunned by the others being bullied by both male and female. Really weird..

Right now I have 2.3 (wc adults w/ regen tails) I can part with. I'm not sure how long they will be around though but should have hatchlings soon too. If you're unable to get what you're looking for and I dont have it when you're ready I can certainly refer you to 2 other people who could supply you.

One thing to keep in mind (and a reason I am careful who I sell them too) is their incredible ability to establish themselves in new areas. Along with The new york population there is also a population in Topeka, KS as well as small area in southern California where they have been documented. Another species the common wall lizard (Podarcis Muralis) has established itself in Ohio and upper Kentucky.
Ohio has even made it their state lizard (which in my opinion is the most retarded thing ever making an introduced species the state lizard and also protecting it from collection) Anywho for that reason cages must be VERY secure as any escapees could start even more populations.

The large pots with bushed would be great. Not only would the pots and bushes create shade but if the soil is soft enough they can burrow down in there for protection from heat/rain/cold etc.

The problems I see with such a large cage is finding any eggs, even with nest boxes the lizards could still find places (like deep down in the pots) to lay where you would never find them.
Also Catching the lizards if you'd need to separate them for any reason (health, being gravid, territorial disputes etc) They are very fast even at cooler temperatures. I'd imagine you'd have to noose them to catch them in a cage that size.

I think it's really cool that there's occellated skinks out there (but not cool that they've been introduced) I had a small breeding group of them a few years back. They were one of my favorite species I have worked with. I've even considered trying to aquire more and trying to keep them outdoors here as they do have populations that live in southern europe whose climate is almost identical to mine, though specimens offered here are collected from north africa from what I know.