FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #28
Seamus Haley
Quote:
i got a copperhead, something that any if it did bite me, would not need medical assistance
That statement, right there, fully justifies my opinion that you should not have this animal.

Quote:
In Va every hot is legal except for crotalus horridus and the brown tree snake.
Individual counties, cities and towns can have their own laws which are more restrictive than those of the state. In searching for Virginia venomous laws I came across quite a few counties where venomous animals were across the board illegal to own for private use. Educational use is something else, but that requires a good number of additional permits, tax exempt status, AZA membership and the like.

Quote:
In my opinion its the people, like you, that won't even consider the thoughts of young people, thats makes the real venomous keeper a dying breed. More and more people are getting bit because the real herpers won't train them, only the much less experienced ones.
I fully respect the views and opinions of young people. Some of the best herpers I know, the quickest, brightest and those with the most inate skill are still minors. That doesn't mean I want them owning venomous snakes. The good ones... young or old... realize that there are additional responsibiltiies inherent in owning an animal which is considered by the general voting public to be dangerous and none of the minors who I do respect would consider owning one until they are adults because THEY know the media feeding frenzy an envenomation would result in.

Quote:
It probably means nothing to you, but before i really respected you, and your views, but after the personal attack, and saying that if you could you would curse me, the respect is gone, and is never coming back.
I am sorry you feel that way. I didn't want to swear AT you, simply that your statements made me want to swear. Which I did... quite loudly, at the top of my lungs, in my own home. I do value the opinions of other people, to a point... If you have lost respect for me, it gives me a reason to pause for a moment or two and consider MY approach to the situation. I will not alter my viewpoints or opinions specifically because I'm saying something that you don't want to hear... I *might* modify my approach slightly.