FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Interesting but unethical Hybrid attempt.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Lucille
[quote=Southwick Herps],
I think that people should stop hybridizing snakes...... They make quite a profit. Buy simple, cheap burms and retics, and breed em together, and sell for thousands upon thousands...
QUOTE]

According to what I learned in economics, there is a law of supply and demand. If people are paying thousands and thousands, there is a demand for what is being produced.

If everyone saw this interbreeding as something not to be done, there would be no purchasers and no demand, but you yourself say that people want to buy these animals.

Many of the pets that humans have cultivated, purebred or not, would not survive without the help of their keepers. How long would a chameleon survive on the streets of Manhattan? The species you talk of may be specialized to adapt to their environment, but most of them aren't IN their environment, they are in a cage somewhere.

There is no problem here having both sides in harmony, those who wish to hybridize can do so, those others who wish to keep pure lines can do so also.
There are many who purchase purebred dogs, with dog clubs like the AKC to trace the pure lines; and many who are happy with their mixed breed companions. I have heard that designer mixes in dogs also have elevated prices because people want to select for the particular combinations which are produced.

Why not simply purchase what you wish, and let other people do the same?