FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Chameleons in Florida
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Scrooge
Dude you would be surprised, that neighborhood I'm talking about I scoured the whole neighborhood. The only place I found them was at the front of the neghborhood in a patch of overgrown jungle that is probably 50ft by 100ft, I think it's like a privacy fence. I did not find anything else in the entire neighborhood. It's more like a colony
This goes the same for other species for example curly tail Lizards, I know a Taco Bell of all places, behind the Taco Bell under a tangle wood tree there is a colony, you go a block away and there's nothing. They are not native animals and when they say they are established it doesn't mean they are reproducing in mass numbers on a 200 sq mile radius. They will be found on small locales.

Check the FWC.com website- another good example is the giant day geckos,, some people let them go on some of the keys islands and they are reproducing but have not extended their range.
Also Amelia Earhart park in Miami, this place only has spiny tail iguanas, outside the park there are none, inside the park they are full of them. I haven't spitted another area in Miami that has spiny tail iguanas, yet they are considered established.

I know there is another small locale of veiled in homestead also, there is a farmers market there were they have a "pet shop" selling wild caught chameleons that were caught close to that area.
There is a Savealot supermarket #329, only in that parking lot you will find red head agamas.
Tim, herping for non natives is like a searching needle in a haystack and unless you stumble across them or know exactly where they are you will never find them and unfortunately a lot of these releases where done on purpose for financial gain so they are kept secret. It's stupid because we all loose when we loose our native wild life to pet trade reptiles, even though I love all reptiles it's a total loss.