FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Let's Discuss: Field Herping!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
old guy
Okay...but what is your view of the situation

of the scenario that I posted about the entire habitat destruction of the den site ? By either a new bridge or a bridge expansion, a new or added housing development, a strip mall, etc. All of these I have encountered in my state. All have been in denning areas of the timber rattlesnake ( crotalus horridus ) and some of the prairie rattlesnake ( viridis ). Remember that our timbers are on a sinc list and we can't do a thing about them with the den site going under and or filled in with concrete. I mean your " ecological and natural balance " is probably far more critical by wiping out the entire den site by this than collecting a few , ( if one or it doesn't get out of hand ). Not to mention many other species of wildlife including the feed prey of the den site occupants............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
I often encounter Crotalus viridis where I live.
Keeping or removing any snake from its natural native habitat is not a good idea. It has a effect on the ecological niche that it lives in (be it a large area or a small one) it upsets the environmental balance, perhaps only in a very small way (.99%) but it does disrupt the natural balance of the native area.