FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adult Kingsnake Feeding Poll
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Brandon Osborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
I find that there is tremendous variation between individuals.

Sometimes the males, whether or not they're being bred, just won't eat much. But, I do have a couple that will eat 2 to 4 large mice every 7 to 10 days viginity notwithstanding.

My nonbreeding females if under 2 years old feed regularly every week or so. Once they hit the 2 year old mark though, even if I don't breed them, sometimes they ovulate. If they ovulate then they go off feed. If no ovulation, usually, feeding is regular, every 7 to 10 days.

Of course, anyone who looks skinny is fed more as I think necessary.

Do you get eggs from females that ovulate without breeding? I think you may have the idea of ovulation confused with folicular development. When a female ovulates, you'll get eggs whether fertile or infertile. Just wondering. There are instances of certain species producing fully formed babies without ever seeing a male in their entire life. This happened to a friend of mine with some White Lip vipers. He raised this female from a newborn and at 3 years old, she produced a little or slugs and fully formed stillborn babies. It happened again a couple of years later.

BTW, I feed my adults every 7 days. Babies up to 2 years get fed every 4-7 days.

Brandon Osborne