Sick Ball - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
MotherWillow
Sick Ball

I have a very small collection of corn snakes and one 2009 female ball python. I am very very new to this.

About two months ago I was asked by a co-worker if I would take a ball python from him. He stated that he no longer wanted the snake and if I didn't take him that he was going to let him loose outside. He asked me because he knew that I had snakes at home.

To make a long story short. He brought the snake over about 10:00 the night after I agreed to take him. This is a 3 year old male ball that is supposedly het pied. The snake was in terrible shape. He was extremely thin. His back bone was protruding and he was just a sack of skin and bones.

I've kept him in isolation away from my other snakes. He has been eating two small rats a week up until two weeks ago. At that point he started refusing food. I've tried multiple different things to entice him to no avail. Today I checked on him first thing this A.M. I noticed that one of his eyes looked sunken. As if it were deflated in the center. I watched him throughout the day and noticed that this evening he was doing some open mouth breathing and has a small amount of clear mucus in his mouth. I tried to feed again tonight and he would have none of it. So this makes week three without eating

The temp in his enclosure is 85 degrees and about 55% humidity currently. I'm really upset as I have grown to love this snake in the short time that we have had him. Any suggestions? Where should I go from here this weekend? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Willow
up his hot spot to 90-92 degrees...85 is a tad bit low

I'd say he will need to see a vet ASAP....as mucus and open mouth breathing are usually Respiratory infection, which can be fatal, and will most likely need anti biotic injections to clear him up

the sunken eye is most likely dehydration....RI can take alot out in a snake

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
MotherWillow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
up his hot spot to 90-92 degrees...85 is a tad bit low

I'd say he will need to see a vet ASAP....as mucus and open mouth breathing are usually Respiratory infection, which can be fatal, and will most likely need anti biotic injections to clear him up

the sunken eye is most likely dehydration....RI can take alot out in a snake
Yep, I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the A.M. They aren't open on the weekend and even though I talked to the after hours guy they want me to wait until tomorrow.

He seems to be doing better this morning. His eye has cleared up and looks great. I've also been watching and he hasn't been doing the open mouth breathing this A.M.

Keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps hanging on till I can get him to the vet in the morning.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
MotherWillow
Just wanted to update. He seems to be doing great. No more open mouth breathing, no signs of mucus today. His eyes look moist and great.

Still going in to the vet today to get him checked out.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Kudos to you Molly for taking him in and giving him a better life. I hope the vet visit turns out ok.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
MotherWillow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Kudos to you Molly for taking him in and giving him a better life. I hope the vet visit turns out ok.
Thanks John! Vet says he looks good today respiratory wise. Apparently turning up his temps and humidity helped.

He is still way way underweight though. I'm going to have to keep trying to convince him to eat.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
HyderHouseHerps
poor baby. Is he still doing ok? He's so lucky to have you.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
MotherWillow
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltanker View Post
poor baby. Is he still doing ok? He's so lucky to have you.
He seems ok. Eyes look great. No more RI symptoms at all. Still cant get him to eat though.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
HyderHouseHerps
That's great that he's feeling better. Maybe he just needs some time. Maybe you should buy him a nice gerbil

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!