Why not just call them MUTTS? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
SPJ
Why not just call them MUTTS?

That's what they really are. Mutts used to be given away for free. Now it seems petstores and individuals all charge premiums for mutts.

CAIRNPOO
CAVA-SHON
CAVAPOO
COCKAMO
COCKAPOO
LABRADOODLE
MALTI-POO
MORKIE
PEEK-A-POO
PUGGLE
SCHNOODLE
SCHNUAHUAHUA
SHIH-POO
SNORKIE POO (3 way mutt)
YORKCHON
YORKIE-POO

There's probably a lot more that I missed.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Gary O
PEEK-A-POO

That is a funny name.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
That's what they really are. Mutts used to be given away for free. Now it seems petstores and individuals all charge premiums for mutts.

Its all in your perspective. If that list of names contained things like

Spider
Bumblebee
Butter
Sunglow
Moonglow
het for Piebald
reverse stripe

You wouldn't think twice about dropping a couple thousand dollars on one. What they're doing with dogs now is the same thing that's been going on with BPs and Boas for years, they're mixing up the genetics of established breeds to see if anything interesting pops up. And if it does, they call it some catchy name and charge a bundle for it. Just business, that's all. Just consider "Yorkie-Poo" the hot new morph of the dog trade.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Some dog cross-breeds have a tendancy to breed true.
Cockapoos are technically any cross between a cocker and a poodle. They can end up as anything from poodle to cocker in appearance, but they TEND to end up as a certain style of dog. Stocky, with a heavy straight coat over the entire body. Rather like a large lsasa apso. Why not get a lsasa apso? Because the ATTITUDE is better. Lsasas were originally guards, and have a tendancy to be more standoffish, more protective. Cockers and poodles were both hunting breeds originally, bred to work WITH hunters closely, and are more personable, and more attentive.

The problem is, you can't take any two breeds, combine them, and end up with a combo of the traits of the parents. It's too complex. Cockapoos and yorkiepoos TEND to end up as a certain style dog. It's not definite though. It takes a LOT more time to "fix" traits so they breed true.

Charging money is fine. It gives the puppy value. If the new owner is willing to pay $500 for a puppy, that's just fine. Some people don't believe in buying "inbred" pure breeds. And others scream about paying so much for "mutts". Still others deny the need to pay anything, and think people should all give away the puppies. Others decry anything BUT rescuing out of shelters.

It's all what you want in a puppy. If you want that ball of fluff, who cares what it's labeled? Myself, I prefer to get a purebred puppy, so I KNOW what it will grow up into. I should have a very good idea of how big, what sort of coat, and what sort of attitude the dog will be when grown. Mixed breeds can't always say that. The coat could change, the pup could suddenly get bigger, or stop growing, and could have the attitude of either parent breed or it's own attitude.
Shrug. It's up to the new owner.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
LukaTisus
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133

Spider
Bumblebee
Butter
Sunglow
Moonglow
het for Piebald
reverse stripe

You wouldn't think twice about dropping a couple thousand dollars on one. What they're doing with dogs now is the same thing that's been going on with BPs and Boas for years, they're mixing up the genetics of established breeds to see if anything interesting pops up. And if it does, they call it some catchy name and charge a bundle for it. Just business, that's all. Just consider "Yorkie-Poo" the hot new morph of the dog trade.

But at least what they're breeding together are still ball pythons.

Personally, I don't like the BP/Burm, BP/Carpet Python, Burm/Retic, etc that people're starting to make. Though it's still classified as a 'python', you won't have any idea what the neonates' traits are going to be.. It's just my personal opinion of course, to each their own..

as far as Dogs go, I prefer a good ol' heinz 57.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Miss Tuniwha
yeah.. the thing about cross breeding dogs, is that some dogs have less allergens, like poodles.. so they try to put the poodle gene with other dogs.. etc..

but.. I agree over all..

I have seen shit-poo's.. now THATS a funny name.. :P but now a days, people have accidental mutts.. and charge a lot..

sadly.. some cross breeding works.. some doesn't. and people do not look into the health issues of one breed, to see if they are compatible..

so.. some crosses are just walking time bombs..

sad sad ..

damn.. Mutts..
*sigh*

Old 01-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133

Spider
Bumblebee
Butter
Sunglow
Moonglow
het for Piebald
reverse stripe

How do you figure?

A Bumblebee is a Ball Python through and through. No other spcies involved. Is a color morph.

No if you want to compare it to something like Ball Python X Burmese Python or Ball Python X Blood Python. You may have a statement. But morphs are not crosses

Old 01-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
How do you figure?

A Bumblebee is a Ball Python through and through. No other spcies involved. Is a color morph.

No if you want to compare it to something like Ball Python X Burmese Python or Ball Python X Blood Python. You may have a statement. But morphs are not crosses

I didn't say anything about hybrid attempts. I was just using BP morphs and Boa morphs as an example. I could have just as easily used crested gecko or bearded dragon morphs.

Breeding one breed of dog with another breed of dog isn't crossing, they're all dogs, same species. Dog breeds aren't considered different species.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
I can see both sides to this, and, while my personal feelings are ones that say " these are mutts, and shouldn't be called anything else nor priced at that, making them seem more valuable and then ruining maybe centuries of selective breeding/bloodlines" People will pay for what they want, and in the end, theres not much anyone can say to that.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
Cat_72
This is a big sore spot for me too, Steve.....while I won't get into the long rant I very easily could start here, the biggest thing that bothers me is that people are not just calling the dogs by cutesy names (and many folks, believe it or not, are dumb enough to believe that they are true "breeds"), but they are flat out lying in many cases about just what the characteristics of these mutts are.

How many times have you seen an ad for labradoodles (or anything else mixed with a poodle) and they claim that since they are a poodle cross, the new mixture will also be "non-shedding"? Every labradoodle I've come in contact with sheds to some extent, some less, some you look like you're wearing a fur coat after they rub up against you. How about labradoodles being "dysplasia-free" since they have the poodle gene? Yeah, sure..... So many people are claiming that you get the "best of both breeds" with these "designer dogs".....but what they forget is that you can also get the WORST of both breeds. This cross-breeding is introducing certain genetic problems into breeds that were previously free of them, as well as helping to minimize it in others.

Creating a new "breed" with any true sense of consistency in the resulting animals takes several generations. Anyone who tells you any different is either ignorant, stupid, or lying IMHO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!