Is it a female Northern Crescent? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
pilonm
Is it a female Northern Crescent?

Hello all,

Here is a another butterfly I photographed in Quebec, Canada in June 2010.

Am I right saying that it is a female Northern Crescent?

Thank you very much for your help

Michel

Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
snowgyre
It certainly looks like it! Pearl crescents look similar, but the hind-wing stripe would be unbroken. With this individual it's clearly broken. I'll have to check my references when I get home.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
pilonm
Thank you very much Snowgyre for your confirmation of this species.

It is really appreciated

Michel

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
snowgyre
Here's what my book Butterflies through Binoculars - The East written by Jeffrey Glassberg says:

"Northern crescents can be extremely difficult to distinguish from Pearl Crescents. The major identification difference has been stated to be that males of this species have orange and black antennal clubs while the antennal clubs of male Pearl Crescents are entirely black. Unfortunately, even putting aside the fact that female Pearl Crescents have orange and black antennal clubs, this character varies widely among the bona fide Pearl Crescents. General differences are that Northern Crescents tend to be larger (but populations in northern Minnesota look like Northern Crescents but are no larger than Pearl Crescents) and have less prominent black reticulations on the hindwing above (giving a more open appearance to the orange area of the hindwing). Females tend to have the forewing above postmedian band a paler (more yellow) orange than the rest of the wing while Pearl Crescent females tend to have a more uniform orange color. Some females are quite dark, resembling Tawny Crescents. Behavioral differences are often cited, such as speed of flight and willingness to fly over bushes, but I saw little differences in this regard in populations I have seen. It is probably best to study a whole colony before concluding that this species might be present.

I remain unconvinced that this is a valid species. When there are so few valid characters to differentiate these "species," how would one know the extent of a zone of hybridization? Sure, if you look at individuals from northern Canada and Maryland, you can call them a Northern Crescent and a Pearl Crescent respectively. But, if you look at an individual from central New Hampshire, you can probably call it anything you want!"

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
pilonm
Thank you very much Snowgyre for this very detailed and appreciated response.

Cheers,

Michel

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!