Savanna monitor experiences - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
XxBLUExX
Talking Savanna monitor experiences

With everything I've read about these fat things :3
Some say their aggressive and a few say they're quite tame.
I know a lot depends on the animal it's self but its like I can barely find any good sides to them, it's like who ever writes this doesn't want you to have them-like steering you away.
I'm aware if the savanna problem though, being cheap and enticing for impulse buyers only to lead short lives or be dumped, so I could understand wanting to drive away those people. But I want to know your GOOD savanna experiences and perhaps a few pictures too!
Thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
chairman
I think it depends on what you think a "good side" of a reptile is. A savannah monitor is a great choice for someone who:

a)has room for at least an 8'x4'x4' enclosure
b)has a home whose structure allows that enclosure to contain 2' of sand/soil mix (usually 2,000 lbs+ of dirt)
c)has the patience to not touch their lizard for their first year of ownership
d)never expects to have a pet that won't attempt to eat them on a daily basis

I have a savannah monitor and I think he's great. It is very rewarding to take an 8" hissy, whippy, monster and watch him learn to trust that you're not going to harm him over the course of 6-8 months. His food drive gives him a wonderful personality too... he'll bounce off the walls in pursuit of anything he thinks he might be able to eat. Last night I almost lost a shirt sleeve to mine just trying to change the water. He's certainly not a "chill" pet, he won't hang out on the couch and watch tv with me, but that doesn't make him a bad pet. I think he's incredibly entertaining. If he were "tame" I'd worry about his health.

Bottom line, if you want a tame pet, don't get a savannah. If you don't mind a feisty pet with a healthy amount of attitude, go right ahead and get one.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
chairman
Some pics of my monitor:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Offkillter1
I currently have two Savanna monitors and they both couldn't be more different. My two year old female started out flighty and nervous,constantly willing to bite every chance she got. Now she has grown to be a great little lizard. She is still very reclusive and loves her burrow but more often than not she is out and about basking and as curious about my family as we are her. Our little male is a nut. While he's never even attempted to bite he seems to hate even minimal human interaction. Constantly on the go he spends the vast majority of his day trying to find and exploit any minor flaw in his cages design. If there was one he'd find it and we would never find him. I personally love my lizards and would trade them for nothing. However I went into Savanna monitor care with zero expectations, willing to care for the animal regardless it's disposition. If you are dead set on a "tame" monitor I think you should probably re-evaluate why you want a pet lizard and consider other options.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
XxBLUExX
Thanks for the replies, beautiful lizard by the way!
I was torn between a savannah and a few other choices, but being the "hands on" person I am these guys aren't for me
Perhaps in a few years when I've established a nice collection of other animals and have calmed down a bit

Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
NIGRO51
What are your other choices?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
XxBLUExX
I was thinking perhaps a yellow ackie- though for the life of me I've been searching in vain to find one. An argentine tegu, or a hunduran milk snake.
I have a few BP's, but I was kinda looking for something I could interact more with.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
XxBLUExX
I was thinking perhaps a yellow ackie- though for the life of me I've been searching in vain to find one. An argentine tegu, or a hunduran milk snake.
I have a few BP's, but I was kinda looking for something I could interact more with.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
XxBLUExX
Oops sorry < didnt realize I posted twice lol

Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
NIGRO51

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
savanna monitor, savannah monitor