Retic - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
cooper_ap
Retic

Well after about two weeks i've decide to take on a 6 ft male Retic from a friend of mine who can no longer keep him. I've done a good amount of research, but that is no substitute for input from real people. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
evilcowboy420
I heard you had better have a whole room if housing a retic cause they are monstrous. I have seen people give these guys away at around 12 to 16 ft. Seems most peoples tolerance for size tops out around 16 ft who knew?? lol

Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Twizted Paths
Cage locks, for the love of whatever deity you choose, please get real cage locks and double check them.
An enclosure that can be divided will be very helpful for safe cage maintenance & feeding.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
cooper_ap
He's 7.5 ft right now, and temporarily housed in a 120 gallon tank. No locks as of now but i am goin caveman and using rocks. In the near future i'll be lookin into a snake hook to avoid reaching my hands in there and invoking a feed response.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
evilcowboy420
You should get a pair of garden gloves. That way if you wear a jacket and gloves you can handle it a bit easier. Sometimes snake hooks can be awkward.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
Twizted Paths
Rocks will not work, if he is 7.5 and wants to leave he will. Never underestimate their strength. You can get simple hasp locks from the dollar store and glue half to the lid and half to the tank and use the mini padlocks that they sell to lock it.
I don't want to see you on the news bro.
I used to keep them, they are gorgeous awesome animals without a doubt, but they require a lot of respect.
Hook training is good, but in the future a dividable enclosure will be a blessing.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
cooper_ap
I'll be hitting the hardware store this weekend the rocks were never meant to be permanent. As for the dividable enclosure is there anything manufactured that big? I've got a 421T Boaphile for one of my boas but i didn.t see anything that was dividable, and real big on his site.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
sgtstinky
Retics are "fun", they eat big, bite big, and poop big. Be very consistent with how you feed and handle him, in that we you two will know what to expect.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
cooper_ap
I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. All this input helps and it seems that any more questions i have will be welcomed here. Thank You!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper_ap View Post
I'll be hitting the hardware store this weekend the rocks were never meant to be permanent. As for the dividable enclosure is there anything manufactured that big? I've got a 421T Boaphile for one of my boas but i didn.t see anything that was dividable, and real big on his site.
Yay, locks!
I basically converted a large portion of my basement into cages so I don't know where to buy them that large.
I know he has cages that can be connected to make larger ones, he also does customizations if you can get him to answer the phone. I don't have a link and navigating his caging site irritates me. Sorry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!