how to get my BP to switch from mice to rats? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
sunshinegeckos
how to get my BP to switch from mice to rats?

I just got my 2nd BP and he has been eating mice but id like to switch him to rats. I tried putting one in and he waanted nothing to do with it. I tried scenting the rat to smell like mouse nothing....any tips?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegeckos View Post
any tips?
1. Keep trying
2. let the snake go on a 2-3 week fast(depending on size of snake) and then offer a pre-scented rat.
3.Keep trying

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
sunshinegeckos
Thanks he is about 200 grams born in july. I will give him a week and try again. My other bp was happy to have a 2nd meal.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Araidia
They should be pretty easy to switch at that size. When I want to switch one of mine I try to keep the rat size and color as close to the mouse size and color as I can. Since he's small try a live one if he's not already on them and before you give it to him either put it in with a mouse or some really dirty mouse bedding for an hour that way it looks the same and smells the same, I haven't had one be able to tell the difference yet. I also put the food near their cage for a half hour so they smell it and are good and hungry. That way they go for it fast and don't think about what it is to much. Leave him alone for two weeks if it doesn't work the first time and try again. Making sure his temps are nice and toasty to helps get them to eat.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
RobNJ
I find the feeding habits of ball pythons the biggest challenge to keeping them. I may have taken the easy way out, as I started breeding my own rats, mice, and ASF's. I've converted a few mousers to rats, but have a few left to go. The ones that absolutely kill me are the ones who will take rats a few times and then suddenly decide they want to go back on mice. In my experience, a ball that eats mice only is much easier to convert to ASF's than to rats, though I don't know if that's a reasonable option for you.

It really is just persistence and determination on your part. Some say scenting works, while others will recommend using size/color recognition tactics...I don't disagree, but I'm not entirely convinced either. I was talking about this with a local hobbyist last week actually and his suggestion was to feed the snake a mouse, but much smaller than it's normal size, and as it's close to swallowing the mouse, use feeder tongs to follow it with a f/t/prekilled rat of equal size- in a manner so that the snake just continues swallowing the rat. Repeat a few times and you should be good.

He swears by this method, I have my reservations as I have yet to attempt it.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Araidia
I've used that method with a jungle carpet before that was started on mice and for years would act like rats were poison. I gave him a mouse, waited until he was most of the way done with it and stuffed a small rat pup down after it, after three times he was taking rats on his own but I still had to trick him to get him to take larger food for a long time. But that method would probably be way to extreme for a little bp and asf's are inconvenient and expensive for most ppl. I just got an asf/mouse eater on rats in a week or two using the same size and scented method and keeping her on the warm side. She's eating small-medium rats like a champ right now. Babies are easy to change over just keep trying and they'll get it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
MrBig
All suggestions so far have worked at times for me, but I have 1 or 2 that will not switch to rats no matter what I do. I can get them to take an ASF at times even a rat once or twice, but then it's nothing but mice again. Some will make the switch easily, some the hard way and some won't do it at all.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
MrBig
I've also thawed rats in the same bag as mice and had some luck that way.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
crookedantler
I take a mouse sized rat and put it in a 5 quart container with 2 mice for about 5 or 10 minutes to get the "mouse" scent and then put the rat in with the snake,this has worked for me 3 times and after 3 to 4 times of doing this the snakes are all eating rats unscented.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
stevek123
I',ve converted several BP's eating live,f/t mice over to f/t rats. Hatchlings to adult. Yes it is a process. Some just take the rats no problem, with others it's a challange.

With adults I've had my best luck waiting until they get back on feed. Usually they take a rat no problem, some times its a couple of weeks trying but they have always come over.

Some times its shear will power, not giving in to give them a mouse. They will eventually get hungry and start eating rats.

Younger ones that are tough to to convert? I heavily sent a rat with a mouse. Give them a smaller than usual mouse and then follow up after they fully swallow with the scented rat ( i let them take it on their own and never assist feed it.) when it works. do it a few times and they are soon taking just scented rats and from there it's easy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!