Eating Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
kodiac
Eating Snakes

Can anyone out there tell me if savannahs can eat venomous snakes native to America? If not, can they eat nan-venomous snakes native to America?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
hhmoore
Of course they can eat them - venomous or nonvenomous - but that doesn't mean they are immune to venom. If you offer a live rattlesnake, and it manages to puncture the monitors skin...

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Wilomn
They are known to eat both venomous and non-venomous snakes in their native ranges but as Harald said, if a non-native venomous snake injected venom, even if from a freshly dead snake, I would think your monitor could have some problems.

If you stick to non-venomous species I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
kodiac
Thanks for the help guys, but does anyone know for sure if they're actually immune to the venom or not? If not, I of course will not try it, but I'd really like to know cause that would be the coolest thing to see. 'Til then I'll just try some garter snakes.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
hhmoore

Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Reptileking636

Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
boybronco
Dude, don't be ridiculous. Don't feed your monitor prey that can potentially harm it. Who cares if their immune or not either way your monitor will get bitten and that's not a good idea. Just stick to feeding a regular, SAFE diet.

Some people just make me crazy.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
kodiac
"quote"Some people just make me crazy."quote"

I dunno if you're in PETA or what, but monitors in the wild eat all kinds of "dangerous" prey, which is why I have my monitor. I don't feed my monitor frozen mice because what would be the fun in that? And I don't just mean for me to watch it. I think it's the only thing that can make him feel like a monitor. They don't get to roam around and have contact with nature like they normally would. Let 'em eat something they have to kill first like they do in the wild. I don't really care what you think is safe or humane, I just want my monitor to have a life instead of eating thawed dead rodents and insects all the time. I'm not going to kill my pet, which is why I came on here to find out a fact about him that I still don't know, which apparently, nobody else does either. But you do know it's not safe, but what you don't know is that the scales they have on thier head and neck are to protect them from not happening, which yes, may not work all of the time, but that's what they're for and it does work most of the time. I haven't fed him a venomous snake yet, and don't plan to until I'm sure he can handle it.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiac
monitors in the wild eat all kinds of "dangerous" prey, which is why I have my monitor.
that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - you have a monitor because in the wild it eats dangerous prey?? Then why post this thread? Your question was can they eat our venomous (or nonvenomous) snakes. The answer, obvious as it is, was given in my first response...of course they can. You make inane statements about how cool it would be to watch, and imply the need for the thrill of the hunt/kill. Do you really think your monitor would be more excited by killing a and eating a young crotalid, as opposed to a young colubrid??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiac
But you do know it's not safe, but what you don't know is that the scales they have on thier head and neck are to protect them from not happening, which yes, may not work all of the time, but that's what they're for and it does work most of the time. I haven't fed him a venomous snake yet, and don't plan to until I'm sure he can handle it.
You really need to be more careful about assuming that people don't know things. I have much more than cursory experience with varanids, and still retain a good bit of knowledge about the various species I kept (despite being "out of" monitors for several years). A varied diet is a good thing, and there is nothing wrong with feeding live...but don't confuse your urge to make your pet seem badass with meeting its physical/psychological needs.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Wilomn
kodi, you're looking for excuses to feed your monitor live so YOU can get your jollies. I bet you call a few of your buddies and all gather round, perhaps having a beer or three, and cheer the mouse on so long as he is hopping and jumping but not actually getting a good bite on your monitor and THEN, once the monitor chomps the little rodent, you change sides and start cheering the monitor.

There is NO need for your lizard to EVER eat live food. They are carrion eaters. Look it up if you don't know what it means. Sure, they'll eat live but much prefer the stressfree feeding carrion provides.

The words dumbass and maroon and even idiot come to mind when I read your posts, but as I am in a generous mood this morning I will ASSume you are simply ignorant of the facts you SAY you are looking for and also ignorant of the fallacy of the facts you espouse.

If it's thrills you're looking for, try counting lines on the highway while blindfolded during rush hour using only your bare feet.

The rest of your ......nonsensical dribble is just that, nonsensical dribble.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!