fighting leopard geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
geck
fighting leopard geckos

I recently added a male super snow enigma with my 3 year old female. she has not yet bred and is pretty big probably 70g the super snow enigma male is about 55-60g. During the day the geckos are fine together and they are either laying on top of each other in a hide or minding their own business'. But when the sun goes down I can hear the males tail shaking and I can hear them moving around. I am trying to house them together as a breeding group and keep them in the same tank. I have a 30gallon show tank so there should be enough room for them but I am worried about the male because it looks like the female is beating him up a little and I found a bite mark on his neck. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? and should I put some antibiotics on his neck where he was bitten? thank you for the help

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
JordanAng420
Are you sure the female is, in fact, a female?
Are you sure she is ovulating?

First you need to make sure your female is female. Males will fight. As long as they are together, he will continue to try to breed her. If she isn't ovulating yet, you need to separate them until she is ready. She can and will injure him anywhere from moderately to severely. There's no place for her to get away if they're together all the time...he will be CONSTANTLY on top of her...and if she doesn't want it, she will make that CRYSTAL clear. On top of all that, it's extremely stressful for her in particular, because now she not only cannot escape from the male, but she is competing for food as well.

I have been breeding leos for a little over 2 years now, and I never have to house males/females together. I let my males have some time with the females every day while they're ovulating, until they refuse. Everybody lives separate, though.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
geck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
Are you sure the female is, in fact, a female?
Are you sure she is ovulating?

First you need to make sure your female is female. Males will fight. As long as they are together, he will continue to try to breed her. If she isn't ovulating yet, you need to separate them until she is ready. She can and will injure him anywhere from moderately to severely. There's no place for her to get away if they're together all the time...he will be CONSTANTLY on top of her...and if she doesn't want it, she will make that CRYSTAL clear. On top of all that, it's extremely stressful for her in particular, because now she not only cannot escape from the male, but she is competing for food as well.

I have been breeding leos for a little over 2 years now, and I never have to house males/females together. I let my males have some time with the females every day while they're ovulating, until they refuse. Everybody lives separate, though.
I am sure that she is female she lived with 3 of her sisters for about 2 years before I got her. I have seperated them for now but I have heard of keeping males with females if the females have enough space. should I put neosporin on his cuts or just let them heal up on their own?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
MTHReptiles
I don't breed Leos anymore but in the past I housed them individually and only introduced for breeding. I have had a female kill a male, and an expensive male at that. Usually its due to a "hot female". What I mean is when someone incubates eggs for male and you get a female in the clutch sometimes that female can be on the aggressive side. I ended up giving her away as a pet because I just couldn't chance her taking out another expensive male.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
KelliH
Sometimes for whatever reason, two female leos or even a male and a female just are not compatible.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
geck
I was recently reading ron trempers leo book and I was thinking the same thing, that she is a macho female or however he puts it. anyways I seperated these two and both are doing great now. thank you for the help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!