Hottest Herps of the early 21st century... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Hottest Herps of the early 21st century...

What are the hottest herps of the last few years? I have been wondering, and my guess would be that the Leopard Gecko has fast become one of the most popular herps. I figure Bearded Dragons, Corn Snakes and Ball Pythons are still very popular, but this thing with Leos seems to be the popular craze.

My guess would be that Crested Geckos may knock out Leos in a relatively short time as things go in the herp trade. What are your thoughts on this one?

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
I speak mainly in terms of the "problem" species, as my experiences with this is mainly rescues -

-Green Iguanas
-Savannah Monitors
-Nile Monitors

-Burmese Pythons
-Ball Pythons
-common Boa Constrictors

Those six species made up the LARGE majority of the rescues I saw surrendered in a period covering several years.

I would have to say in my opinion it is due to the low price, ease of availability, and difficult care (in some cases).

Old 05-29-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
meretseger
Those are the hottest herps right now... but... I think I'm seeing a bit of a trend toward smaller boids... I think dwarf boas (like hoggs), rainbow boas, children's pythons, carpet pythons, and such are going to grow in popularity, as people slowly figure out that burms are a bit much to handle. Maybe to the point where these species replace burms, balls and boas in pet stores. I also think ackies are going to get very popular very soon. I just wish there were more kinds of CB lizards for people to choose from.
Crested geckos are definately going to be big, which I think it good. They're easier for newbies than leopards. But maybe a bit tougher for kids to handle. At any rate, the herp market is just going to improve as more education is available.

The most commonly kept snake in my area is the ball python, to the point where I think that 1/2 of snakes kept here are balls. This is based on polls of people buying live and frozen food at a pet store over a period of 2 months. Kings are a bit more popular than corns around here. Anoles are the most popular lizard but only because... (wait for it)... the schools hand them out to every student. I'd campaign against this, but I'm busy looking under couch cushions so I can buy a McChicken for lunch. Other than that no one lizard stands out as the most widely kept. RES are the most common turtles.

Erin B.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!