Verizon Fios? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Uroboros
Verizon Fios?

Does anyone have any opinions on why I shouldn't switch from Comcast to Verizon?

I've been irritated with comcast because of their stance on net neutrality and their new bandwidth limits (even if I don't reach them).

Verizon is offering me a heck of a deal, is there any reason technical, political, or pricipal that I shouldn't make the change?

TIA,

Erik

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHerpinator View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on why I shouldn't switch from Comcast to Verizon?

I've been irritated with comcast because of their stance on net neutrality and their new bandwidth limits (even if I don't reach them).

Verizon is offering me a heck of a deal, is there any reason technical, political, or pricipal that I shouldn't make the change?

TIA,

Erik

We've switched to Fios back in November. So far it does ok. The internet access is really not all THAT much faster than cable from what I can tell. The only thing I don't like is on the TV side.. the DVR software is crap. Anytime I record something and then watch it later, the machine decides to randomly fast forward whenever it wants and I spend more time trying to stop it and rewind than actually watching the show.. I'm better off just watching the show live instead of recording it for later.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Digby Rigby
Thumbs up FiNALLY FiOS

All my life we had cable. Even as a child because we lived in the hills no reception otherwise. We installed FiOS about a year or so ago when it became available here.

One of the main differences is that the network is all fiber optic right up to your house. Cable at most is maybe up to the node. We have several TVs here all the way from a 27 inch, 18 year old JVC to a Sony Wega CRT 32 inch high definition TV to a Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD. On all the sets there was was marked improvement in picture quality over cable. So if superior picture is important to you then cable is not an option. We have had no issues with any of our boxes or HD recorders issued from FiOS.

As far as internet speed goes ours is 20MB/3MB speeds and I think you can get even faster if you want.

You will get a wider variety of channels and a lot more channels in high definition. Since Verizon was also our telephone company we decided to get tv internet and phone service all in one. However we left one phone line as it was meaning not hooked up to FiOS. The one disadvantage to FiOS I have found is that when you get the phone service via the FiOS system it runs through the box they install in the garage, the box is hooked up to the electrical So if the power goes out no phone service. However it does also act as a temporary back up if that happens.

When it comes to customer service they are as eager to respond to a problem as they are to take our money.

In summation, We have our tv service which includes Starz, The Movie Channel, Encore, IFC, Sundance and Showtime as well as the HD package, phone service with unlimited local calling and free calling anywhere in the USA and Canada with no long distance charges! 2 lines and internet all this for only 160 a month!

Now if you had fiber optics installed in the house you would really be shocked at the improvement.

My only regret is the 60 inch Pioneer Kuro is not yet installed on the wall so I cant watch it yet!

One thing to consider is if certain sporst packages are important, a neighbor has Direct TV because of the football and sports packages exclusive to Direct TV. However picture and sound are far inferior and over all much less availabilty.

You want FiOs, You need FiOS

Vootie this is my first non reptile post ever on a forum!

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
GREGORY J HALL
I LOVE MINE! COMCAST HAS HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE,SOON AS FIOS BECAME AVILIBLE I SWITCHED.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
RyanT
I switched to Verizon from Comcast in '07 because of how terrible Comcast is. As soon as I had a problem with Verizon, I quickly realized their service is even WORSE. (Took me 5 days and speaking to literally 70 different "customer service" people across the country to get my service turned back on. They shut it off 3 days before I even received the bill.) Now I'm back to Comcast and getting ripped off again. Bottom line is they both SUCK terribly, but you need their service and they know it, so they can do WHATEVER they want. So don't expect anything better. Defferent?, yes....Better?, not possible.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Uroboros
One night, I was reviewing the channel line up and noticed that Encore Westerns wasn't included. At 11pm, I tried to call to see how I could get it added to my setup before it got installed.

Their computer wanted me to talk to it. THAT is a big turn off to me, I don't talk to machines unless I'm angry with them. After about 15 minutes of mashing buttons and saying the word "Elephant" (if it doesn't understand you, sometimes you get a human faster), I finally got in touch with their service dept. Well, they were closed, please call back during business hours.

I may have had the wrong department, but it wasn't for a lack of trying to get to the proper one.

If I get a wild hair up my butt and want Showtime at 3am on a Sunday, I can call Comcast, get a person that is in an office less than 15 miles from my home, and have Showtime in a matter of minutes.

The next Monday, I called Verizon to have the installation canceled. After being on hold for approximately 10 minutes, I get a person with a heavy Indian accent. After explaining the situation, she then puts me on hold for a couple more minutes after which, I am speaking to someone without an accent.

Thanks for reviving the thread, I had forgotten about it. Comcast has been pissing me off with some of their policies, but at least (for me) they're helpful and local, no less.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!