Arrow Frogs-Poison Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
RosterImposter
Arrow Frogs-Poison Question

How toxic are cbb arrow frogs? I know in the wild they would eat other ants so they could get the poison that they have and use it to make themselves more lethal, but if they are cbb they wouldnt be as toxic, right? I ask this question because Ive seen 2 pictures of a person holding 2 different species of arrow frogs in their hand with out anything protecting their skin. The answer is very important because I do plan on getting a few of these (Bumble bee, Blue&Black, Green&Black). Ive already spent a couple months learning about the species and what the would need to thrive in captivity, I still probably will do more research before getting them. If their toxin is still quite lethal, then I will hold back on getting them and do alot more research on safety.

These are not my only herps, I also have: 2 grey tree frogs, 3 firebellied toads, 2 white lined geckos, 2 garter snakes, 1 crocidile gecko, and 1 leopard gecko.
The only one I regularly handle is the leopard gecko and I do realize that I would probably have to wash my hands even if I was wearing gloves after handling the frogs.

Thank you, this will help me out alot, not only in getting these, but in the future as a herpetologist.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Palex134
I am no expert, but I almost bought a few about a year ago. Only purchase CB ones. The CB darts arent venomous. I wouldn't handle them still, because they are small, it is stressful, and like all amphibs, because of their skin. Try looking at some care sheets. I have heard they are a very interesting group of frogs.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
RosterImposter
No poison? That is very interesting!
And when I said "handle", I meant only to clean their cage.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Palex134
http://www.saurian.net/htm/dartfrogs1.htm

go there for lots of good information!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
TheGreenMan
Bit of an old post but...
Poison Dart Frogs do not produce poison. They get it from an ant. Where the ant gets it from...Most think from sap of a plant. So in captivity any wild caught frogs lose their poison quickly (before you would even get them I would think) and captive bread frogs never get poisonus. The only exceptions to this are the Pollybates(sp?) genera of dart frogs. These are the true killer dart frog that will kill you in minutes if you touch them in the wild. These seem to produce a little toxin on their own. But this is not enough to do anything in captivity. Maybe if you have really sensitive skin you might get a rash.
Hope this helps some more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!