RA numbers for kingsnake color morphs-CA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
GuinnyOne
RA numbers for kingsnake color morphs-CA

I've been trying to sell 3 of my striped cali kingsnakes and I had a girl contact me who was interested in them. But then she asked me if I had their RA numbers that were required in order to sell CA native species in California. Now 2 of these snakes I had shipped to me, but the other I purchased locally from the Lodi Serpentarium. I explained to her that these were STRIPED king morphs and not the BANDED b/w or brown/white california kingsnakes that are native.

So do I need RA numbers to sell these? Even though I purchased one of them from the Lodi Serpentarium without having an RA number? Just seems kind of odd. I know it is illegal to sell native wild-caught specimens...

Thanks, Kelly

Old 06-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnyOne
I've been trying to sell 3 of my striped cali kingsnakes and I had a girl contact me who was interested in them. But then she asked me if I had their RA numbers that were required in order to sell CA native species in California. Now 2 of these snakes I had shipped to me, but the other I purchased locally from the Lodi Serpentarium. I explained to her that these were STRIPED king morphs and not the BANDED b/w or brown/white california kingsnakes that are native.

So do I need RA numbers to sell these? Even though I purchased one of them from the Lodi Serpentarium without having an RA number? Just seems kind of odd. I know it is illegal to sell native wild-caught specimens...

Thanks, Kelly
To be honest I'm not 100% sure when it comes to that point. If you are just some "normal" person who bought some CA kings as pets, say retail from a pet store, and now want to sell them, you probably could. If you are a breeder, it gets kind of sticky. The law states you need a permit to sell native species, so even in the first situation it may be technically illegal.
In addition 2 points to the ones you are trying to sell.
1. the law only exempts "albinos" described as lacking in black pigment AND having pink eyes. When I bred high whites, and bannana kings they are not exempt.
2. Striped CA kings are native to CA. They are a naturally occuring aberrant that you can catch in southern CA.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
GuinnyOne
Well, I'm definately not a breeder. I just wanted to sell these snakes that I purchased. So, for at least the one I purchased from the Lodi Serpentarium, should I have recieved an RA when I purchased this snake? Also, one of the snakes I purchased from out-of-state is an albino, and the other a chocolate phased stripe....

So I guess I can't sell these within the state? Shoot, the pet store I used to work at would buy banded cal kings from a supplier down south and sell them....guess that was illegal too unless the supplier also supplied our store with the RA number for each snake?

What is one to do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!