Broadening Uro Forum - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
aliceinwl
Broadening Uro Forum

I was curious if there was any interest in broadening the scope of the Uro forum to include other desert herbivores such as desert iguanas and chuckwallas. On KS the Chuckwalla forum has become the unofficial "desert lizards" forum and this seems to work well there. All three of these genera have similar care requirements in terms of temps and diet. A beginning DI or chuck keeper could learn a lot from experienced uro keepers and vice versa. Currently these animals are spread out over three different forums: DI's in Iguanas and chucks in other lizards. There aren't too many DI or chuck keepers out there, so I don't think that there's any risk of the uro forum getting flooded What kind of brought this to the forefront of my mind was a recent post regarding desert iguana care over in the iguana forum. It was not getting a lot of attention, I had missed it, and most uro keepers (provided they saw it) could offer much better advice on care than people experienced with Iguana, Ctenosaura and Cyclura species. Ideally it would morph into something like the Garter, Ribbon and Water Snake forum or the Rosy, Rubber, and Sand Boa forum and keepers of these species could share and come into contact with each others ideas and experiences. How does everyone else feel about this?

-Alice

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
WebSlave
I would not be opposed to it. What does the mod of the Uromastyx forum (Junkyard) think about it? Perhaps I should move this thread to that forum?

Are there really enough people interested for it to make a difference either way?

Old 07-20-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
aliceinwl
I know that Junkyard has been working really hard to grow the Uro forum so I think that he should have the final say, and I have no problem with the decision either way. Since this query had more to do with feedback than uros, I thought this was the place to put it.

Right now the only existing chuckwalla threads I could find (mine) are all already located in the uro forum and there are a whopping two desert iguana threads in in the iguana forum, so right now it wouldn't make much of a difference but, it may in the future. As it stands, a chuck or a DI thread in the uro forum would be technically off topic, even though uro aficionados are likely some of the best equipped people in terms of knowledge to offer input about these species. As this site continues to grow it's reasonable to assume that there will be a few more chuck and DI keepers joining up. If they get a prompt response to their posts by knowledgable people, they'd be more likely to continue to frequent the site. At the same time, there would have to be a change to the forum title so that the appropriate place to post would be clear.

On a personal note, I'd like to update some of the chuck threads I started. Part of my decision to post them in the uro forum stemmed from the threat of forums being discontinued if they did not get at least one post per month, and chucks and uros have a lot in common. I like uros, but right now I have chucks. I've held off updating because I don't want to step on any toes. Ideally I'd like some kind of official sanction to include these guys in the uro forum or have the threads moved into the other lizards if that ends up being the decision.

-Alice

Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Junkyard
Hey, a thread involving me, I need to cruise around the site more often. Heck, as of lately I need more time to get on.

I have nothing against chuckwallas being in the uro forum. Alice, how popular are chuckwallas? I am curious if having "Chuckwallas" in the Forum title would bring in more posters to the forum, if so then it may be beneficial to add them on. I really do not know how big the chuckwalla keeper world is, I recently became involved with uros, so this world of Uro keepers is new to me.

I am hesitant to merge the iguana forum with the uro forum, I do not think it is necessary to do so. Desert iguanas may be similar in care as chuckwallas and uromastyx, but that is only one species of iguana. Most people whom own iguanas own the green iguana species, whose care is different then the chucks and uros.

My only request would be to hold off until the Uromastyx Photo Contest is over at the end of August.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
aliceinwl
I have no problem holding off until the end of August. Unfortunately the chuckwalla community is much smaller than the uro community But, I'd post I agree that you would not want to merge the iguana and other lizard forum, but perhaps desert iguana owners could be encouraged to check out the uro forum if they post? On KS there are separate chuckwalla and uro forums, but there has been a fair amount of cross posting between them. The Chuckwalla forum over there, also unofficially functions as the chuckwalla and other desert lizards forum and it seems to work well. The "other desert lizards" don't have official sanction, but posts dealing with them are welcomed when they appear, I'll defer on to your discretion as to whether this is something that might work. Personally I think a uro and chuck forum here would be awesome.

-Alice

Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
ezrabunny
Hello, thought I'd post here since I'm one of the few Desert Ig mommas.

I'm a new Desert Ig keeper and would love to be directed where would be most appropriate to post my questions about my kiddos and I sure do have lots of questions. As of right now I have been using the KS chuckwalla forum since Desert Igs & Chuckwalla care are so similiar and of course because I've seen many posts about DI's in there. I'd love to have a place to post about DI's on Fauna but I don't want to annoy or bother anyone by placing something offtopic in the wrong forum. I look forward to finding out where I would be best suited to post.
Thanks!
-Whitney

Old 08-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Junkyard
As of right now, the Iguana Discussion Forum would be better suited as far as species is concerned for posting any questions and picture you want to share. If you do not get any answers you are more then welcome to post in the Uromastyx Forum.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
ezrabunny
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction for posts concerning my desert igs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!