the right boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
herpking
the right boa

what is the most docile type of boa you can get cause i am intrested
in one

plz reply
thank you

Old 07-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Art Klass
Temperaments vary from snake to snake. Columbians are typically very even tempered. Go to a reptile show and find a neonate that handles well and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Scott Nellis
Talking Dumeril's boa!

I have a pair and my roommate has 1.2 Dumeril's boas. In all the time we've had these gems they have never once tried to bite us! Very docile species! They are also a bit smaller than Columbians....only getting to about 10 feet max.

Scott Nellis

Old 07-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
wot_racing
They all seem to vary, some to avoid are the nicarauguan(sp?) which is normally sold as a central american, and the argentine boas.. The key is to get a baby and raise it yourself..

Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Junkyard
10 feet is extremely large for a Dumerils, 6-7 feet is normal all though 9 feet has been recorded before in a captive animal and is the only case I have heard of to be that big. They are great boas, I have them myself and never get tired of them.

Most boas are good if you start of with a neonate, as Art suggested go handle a couple at a show and find one you like. A little bit of gentle handling is all they need to settle down and become great animals to hold.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Scott Nellis
Talking Argentines

Yeah, I was going on stuff I read about Dums....10 feet being the max. Mine aren't quite that big yet...more like 4 feet....lol. I also have Argentine boas. Yes, some can be downright nasty, but mine are gentle...that is, after they got through the open mouth hissing, bluff striking phase as babies...lol. Now they have settled down and are well mannered. The other guys on here are right though....whatever you get, start with a baby. They are much easier to work with and tame down (if neccessary).

Scott Nellis

Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
hhmoore
the only problem with Dumeril's is that they don't seem quite as "comfortable" being held or draped. This may be a reflection of the fact that they are more terrestrial than BCI (not to mention that they are not all that closely related...not even the same genus). *That should not be taken to mean that they don't tolerate it well...it's just that their different body & lifestyle seems to have left them a bit "stiffer" and less "clingy" than BCI.* I will agree that dumerils are calm and handleable, even as neonates (it's actually nice to have a group of babies that doesn't hiss, bite, or otherwise freak out, lol).

Old 07-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
markface
Quote:
Originally Posted by wot_racing
They all seem to vary, some to avoid are the nicarauguan(sp?) which is normally sold as a central american, and the argentine boas.. The key is to get a baby and raise it yourself..
i just sold a ncaraguan boa that was as sweet natured as you would ever want a snake to be . she may have been the exception , but as others have said it varies from one snake to the next . even in the same species .

Old 07-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
theboaman
if you need any baby boas i have them right now they were born on may 22/2006

Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 AM   #10
hhmoore
Anthony, I see that you are fairly new here...advertising animals for sale in the discussion forums is inappropriate

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!