Length of guarantees? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Ed Clark
Length of guarantees?

Would like to hear from other breeders the length of guarantees they offer.

Especially the lenght of a correct sex guarantee, I guarantee correct sex for 30 days.

Do any of you guys guarantee correct sex past the 1 year mark?

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
ace9916
AFTERNOON ED WHEN YOU SAY PAST THE ONE YEAR MARK YOU MEAN THAT THE BUYER HAS HAD AND KEPT THE REPTILE FOR A YEAR OR LONGER CORRECT. SOMEONE BUYING A BEARDIE FOR A YEAR AND NOT NOTICING THAT THEIR HE IS A SHE OR THEIR SHE IS A HE WOULD BE KIND OF TUFF. i JUST HAD ONE THE OTHER DAY THAT I PURCHASED 6 WEEKS AGO. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN A HE AND TURNED OUT TO BE A SHE. SHE'S ABOUT 3 MONTH OLD NOW AND ITS CLEAR AS DAY SHE IS A SHE. PLUS AT THAT POINT WHAT WOULD YOU EXCHANGE IT WITH ANOTHER ADULT OR CASH WOULD BE IT. i THINK 3-4 MONTHS OF AGE IS MORE THEN ENOUGH.

AS FOR HEALTH GUARANTEE ITS ALWAYS TUFF TO MAKE A CALL. I HAD A SITUATION A FEW WEEKS BACK WHERE I ALSO POSTED ASKING FOR HELP. I HAD SOMEONE PURCHASE SEVERAL DRAGONS OF DIFFERENT MORPHS AND GENTICS. AND WITHIN 2 WEEKS HE CALLED ME SAYING ALL HAD DIED. i COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW ALL OF HIS DIED SO QUICKLY. AND YET I STILL HAVE 11 OF THOSE SAME CLUTCH MATES AT MY HOME ALL DOING GREAT EATING WELL AND ALL. HE COULDN'T EVEN SAY THAT I GAVE HIM SICKLINGS CAUSE I LET HIM PICK FROM EACH CLUTCH.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Talking about sexes of snakes, but this can be applied to any animal sold. I feel that a 30 day guarantee is more than enought time to give a buyer to double check or confirm that indeed they recieved the correct sex.

Should the correct sex guarantee be a life long guarantee to everyone that purchases that same snake down the line?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
ace9916
IF YOU DID SUCH A THING YOU WOULD BE SETTING YOUR SELF UP FOR A LONG LIFE TIME OF ADDITIONAL WORK. YOU WOULD HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF SO MANY ANIMALS JUST TO KEEP AWAY FROM ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO COME UP WITH A FREE EXCHANGE OR MONEY BACK. 30 DAYS IS ENOUGH, OF COURSE IT WOULD VERY JUST A BIT WITH THE AGE OF A REPTILE EVEN SNAKES ( BY THE WAY SORRY FOR THAT I ALWAYS SEE YOU ON THE DRAGONS SIDE.) LOL BACK ON TOPIC. IF ITS A 3-6 MONTH OLD REPTILE, SEX SHOULD BE WELL DEFINED AND 30 DAYS IS JUST REASSURANCE FOR THEM.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Ed Clark
I think that a 30 day guarantee to the original buyer is fair.

My thoughts are that someone wanting guarantees years after the sale are unreasonable especially them not being the original buyer.

I'm just kickin it around trying to be fair.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
ace9916
THEM NOT BEING THE ORIGINAL BUYER MAKES IT THAT MUCH WORSE. yOUR 30 DAY SEXING GUARANTEE IS FAIR AND I'V SEEN IT ON YOUR POSTS. IT ONLY TOOK ME 2 WEEKS TO NOTICE MINE WAS A SHE AND NOT A HE

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
hhmoore
IMO, guarantees are for the person that makes the purchase.
A gender guarantee can easily hold arguments on both sides (limited and unlimited time frame), simply because the gender of the animal is not going to change...however, numerous circumstances can make replacement a year (or more) down the road difficult; and trying to assess value for cash refunds can get downright ugly (most of us have seen cases on the BOI where people find out they've got a male & think they're entitled to full retail value of an adult female PLUS what they could have made from the babies that now aren't going to happen). Heck, a year later, a breeder might not even be working with a given species or morph,

I can't deny that I have occasionally neglected to confirm the gender of snakes I've received in a timely manner, and found out at some point in the future (usually during breeding season) that a mistake was made. I may have contacted the sellers to let them know, but I didn't seek any form of compensation...at that point, I just acknowledged that I was a dumbass for not checking sooner.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
ace9916
EXACTLY MY POINT I MADE THE SAME MISTAKE BUT WITH A DRAGON. i DIDN'T SEEK ANY KIND OF COMPANSATION EITHER, JUST REALIZED THAT I BETTER FIND THE ONE THAT I DID WANT AND SOON BEFORE I GET STUCK OUT OF LUCK LATER.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post

I can't deny that I have occasionally neglected to confirm the gender of snakes I've received in a timely manner, and found out at some point in the future (usually during breeding season) that a mistake was made. I may have contacted the sellers to let them know, but I didn't seek any form of compensation...at that point, I just acknowledged that I was a dumbass for not checking sooner.
O yea, have had that same thing happen from a few of the biggest names in the BP and Boa world. usually at that point I just start thinking what can I breed the boy to that I thought was a girl.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
WingedWolf
I do NOT have a cap on the length of time someone can claim their guarantee for correct sexing. However, they are entitled to a full refund, or an available animal of the correct sex, after returning the animal at our expense. I will probably clarify this to "an available animal of the same price as the one purchased". I would not accept trying to produce the current value of an animal they have kept for several years, but I would certainly give them back what they paid, if they wish it. I don't think there is an expiration date on miss-sexing an animal, but at the same time, they will bear some of the liability if they don't confirm the sex when they receive it, or mis-sex it themselves when they receive it. So far, I have not miss-sexed any animals I have sold, knock on wood.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!