Iguana Room – tunnel – outdoor jungle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
wildheart
Iguana Room – tunnel – outdoor jungle

My boy is now a year and 11 months and spoiled rotten. He is 100% part of our household – it took hours and hours each day since he was 5 days old but oh boy it is so worth it. He sometimes goes to work with me, goes with on holidays, help with the shopping and is a local at the sports club. He climbs on my lap/chest each night and watch tv until he falls a sleep and I carry him to bed at about 21:00.

I studied the book called the Green Iguana,The Ultimate Owner's Manual,Author: James W. Hatfield Iii and follow it to the best of my ability and always try and improve. This book says that if you keep an iguana in a cage with white/blank walls then it is a sentence to hell. For this reason I tried my best to copy his natural environment.

Forest has a room with a tunnel that leads to an outdoor cage. He uses the tunnel when we are at work but he roams free when I am home. Our South African houses are built with bricks and then plastered; therefore I do not have a problem with the high humidity affecting the rest of our house. Another plus point about SA is that we have lots and lots of sun.

It took my husband a month to paint the walls inside the room, a week to build the tunnel and another 2 weeks to build the outdoor cage. (Isn’t he just wonderful!)

We’ve replaced a big section of the door with plexi-glass so he can see us and we can see him.
The walls before we brought the things inside:

The netting against the ceiling is to create a feeling of tree tops. It hides all the wires for the lighting and protects the ceiling from the high humidity.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
wildheart
We chopped down two trees and left it in our swimming pool to kill everything living inside it. It took 6 men to get it into the room! Forest grew up with life plants all around him and therefore I have never had a problem with him eating the plants. All the plants are iguana-safe. He uses the COMPLETE room, every branch, basking ledge and even the ground and windowsill. The same with the outdoor cage, he uses all the ledges and loves laying on the grass.

The idea was to extend his outdoor cage to reach his room but I changed my mind and used the space to build outdoor cages for my dragons.
Here is the loooong tunnel. It only took forest 2 tries to get it right.
Still in progress:

Finished:

I grow all his food, mustard, turnip, rocket etc. and I’ve planted hibiscus, nasturtium and lots more in his outdoor cage.

Wow, that was a mouth full, I hope you liked it!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
AtrociousOne
hands down, that is the GREATEST setup for an iguana I've ever seen. great job!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Fireproof
That's really amazing. That iguana is living like a king!!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
wildheart
Thank you!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Dinosaur
WOW!! I have always wanted to do that. I might have to borrow some of your ideas. Great job!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Iguanagirl8662
That room is AMAZING, plus the tunnel and outside cage. Great job!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
samanjaya
the only way an iguana should be housed. great job

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
evilcowboy420
WOW I just saw this browsing. Now if everyone took as good of care of their animals as you then there would be no need for a humane society. Great Job.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
mechnut450
that a great setup i wish i had that king of room when i had mine years ago.. The only way i can see it getting better if you said it was totally off he grid (solar panels) , and it actually was making you all money ( not that the iggy would know or complain) lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!