For those who use Play sand - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Bacula
For those who use Play sand

I just got an adult beardie she is about 1 1/2 yrs she is 15" long and 410g. I had to get her she was in a cage with an aggressive cage mate Male. She is missing about im guessing about 3 to 4" of her tail missing 2 left toes and one right toe and she had some sort of blue paint on her. the blue popped out when i got her home and gave her a bath. I have her in a proper set up but i have paper towels for a temp substrate. I picked up some play sand and have read it should be rinsed out and big chuncks taken out. I was looking for some tips on how to accomplish this. I have 2 babies in their cages and will eventually be doing the same for them when they get a little bigger. My female is 10" and 51g not sure if she would be classified as a baby still or an juvenile. My male is in early shed he is 10 3/4" and 50g. Any tips will help thanks. They all have a UVB 10 tube light and a basking spot ranging between 100 and 105 range with on the cool side at about 75

Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
angie.h
Washed children's play sand doesn't have big chunks in it. It's ready to use.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Bacula
I will check but im sure it is not washed. It does look like it is dusty and that is what im concerned about. I have read that the dust can cause them some problems.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
dragon069
GO TO HOME DEPOT ITS ONLY ABOUT $3 FOR 50LBS I USE IT ALL THE TIME ITS CALLED QUIKRETE PLAYSAND ITS VERY FINE AND NO CLUMPS AT ALL NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT EVEN WITH THE YOUNGER DRAGONS

Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Bacula
Cool thanks for the advise. what is the cost for reptisand if anyone know? Also how beep or how much coverage do you put down?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Bacula
One more thing what other substrate do you guys use or recommend using for these great creatures?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
ace9916
The sand at Home Depot is way cheaper then Reptisand. I'v used both before and the cost of reptisand is more then 3 times more expensive.

I'v also tried alfalfa pellets that didnt last long. Other have tried crushed walnuts aswell. I now have no substrate, I use newspaper and replace it everyday.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
angie.h
Alfalfa pellets and ESPECIALLY walnut shells are dangerous,both easily cause impaction.Newspaper is good,easily thrown out and replaced daily.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
ace9916
The pellets lasted maybe a week with me. I didn't like it for those same reasons, I saw several of my adults getting one or two in their mouth. I through it out that weekend, plus it smells terrible when wet.

The walnut shells I'v never personaly tried myself. If the alfalfa scared me, walnut shells wasn't going to make me feel any better.

The newspaper so far has been great, i just dont like when roaches go under it then i have to go after them.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacula View Post
I will check but im sure it is not washed. It does look like it is dusty and that is what im concerned about. I have read that the dust can cause them some problems.
Sand, dusty.? you dont say. Lol get rid of the substrate and go with paper. Its easier to clean, faster to clean, there is NO dust, Doesn't hold the bacteria like the substrates do. Doesnt get ingested like the substrate does.
I use to use substrate until i seen un-eaten super worms coming up from the bottom eating the fecal matter. Then what if the dragon ingest the worm that eats the poo? Its how you overload you dragon with coccidia.
With paper you pull it out wipe the cage surface were the dragon went to the bathroom and replace the paper. Fast clean and effective.
NOT all the mess gets cleaned up when you have substrate. Then the dragon has to live and breath the remains of what didnt get cleaned up properly. Can be un-healthy living conditions for your beardie.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!