my first leachies Echo and Luna - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
ninjette5987
my first leachies Echo and Luna

http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...AnimalID=86806

Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop by and share some photos of my new hatchling leachie, Echo. I recently came across her breeder who had actually sold her Isle E leachie pair and didnt realize she had eggs till they hatched in the greenhouse she had. I met up with her and ended up purchasing both of her hatchlings. Once I saw them I just couldnt pass them up. They both hatched on December 2nd. I purchased Echo on December 5th and Luna on December 6th. Echo was 5.35 grams and Luna was 4.35 grams. I have them in plastic tubs for now with cork bark and plastic plants until they get a little bigger and are eating more regularly.

Now, Echo has lick marks in her food dish so I do know she is eating but Luna doesnt. I have found poop in Luna's cage once so I know she has to be eating sometimes just maybe not regularly? I read that this is normal for leachies but are there any tricks to getting them to eat as hatchlings?

Just wanted to introduce Echo I will post some photos of Luna tomorrow but she looks VERY similar obviously. They are so tiny I had no idea leachie hatchlings were so tiny until I saw them for the first time. I am so in love with these little geckos!

Just wanted to also ask you guys how soon do you begin to offer live food to your leachie hatchlings? I put a couple tiny dubia roaches in a glass dish in their containers today to see if they were interested in them but I am just not familiar with when to introduce live food as these are my first babies and I would like any advice you have for me!

Also, what is the best way to socialize them so that they are not aggressive as adults? I did read up on them prior to purchasing them and I do know that personality varies but when should I start holding them and how often?

Thanks for any advice you have for me!!! I want to raise these little ones up the right way.

Heather

Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
ninjette5987
No one has any advice for me?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
bigsam586
Feed exclusively CGD.its full of all the vitimins a leachie needs. Maybe a pinky to females during breeding season for some eatra protein .The baby l should eventually eat on its own.dip it's face in the CGD and it should lixk it off and get a little food into it for the meantime .I only handle when cleaning cages and on occasion, but too much handling will stress them and make them not eat.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
pakinjak
Yah, don't worry about insects. CGd has all they need. I wouldn't worry about holding them either. IMO, it doesn't really have any bearing on whether they get aggressive or not, and if they do it's just cage aggression. Once you get them out they are chill. Minimal handling also is good so they eat. Make sure you keep them separately too, small containers until they hit 40-50g.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
312Herps
Seems like you have great advice already,one major thing i heard was make sure the gecko doesnt spend much time on the floor of the enclosure, this could lead to health issues .i hear they enjoy tubes of corkbark. you might want to try other forums such as Repashy Forums, They have more people who are into the Rhacodactylus species and also we have a group on Facebook called The Perfect Rhac. Good luck

Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
ninjette5987
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. As you can see this thread is about a month old. Both leachies are eating and growing pretty well. I weigh all of my animals once per week and Echo started off at 5.53grams and is now 7.01 grams. Luna was 4.50 and is now 5.95. Given its been a month and a half so far I think theyre doing pretty well. I had thoroughly read every forum and didnt see anything about when you should offer live food so thats one of the things I was wondering. I do feed them peach CGD and they have been eating it. They are in plastic containers right now until they get bigger. I have two small terrariums for them when they are ready to upgrade. They do spend alot of time hiding on the bottom. When you say this causes health problems what kind of problems do you mean? I am just wondering because I had no idea about this. There are several spots to hide in their cages and they have alot of plants but prefer hiding under them. At night they move around and I see them on top of them but they spend the daytime under them. I keep their food bowls near the hides and they hang out there and eat. Oh and just so you know they are separate and have been since I bought them. They both have the same setup in their cages but they are not kept together. (The breeder told me I could keep them together but I was uncomfortable with that because I felt I could monitor growth and eating and pooping better separate.)
Thanks everyone for the responses it was a bit of a bummer when no one answered my plea for help. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. It means alot!

Thanks again!

Heather

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!