Hello from Iowa Rookie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
aambumann
Hello from Iowa Rookie

Hi, wanted to introduce ourselves. I discovered Fauna last summer 2011 and have been sitting back reading and learning, and wanted to say Thank You to Everyone for all the helpful info I have gained from this site. I could not have done it with out you. I like to research our new adoptees before adding them to our "Reptile Room". It all started last summer when my 7 y/o Son and 10 y/o Daughter wanted a lizard. We started with a Leopard Gecko from Petco. (1st lesson, better to buy from a breeder, not a big box store), went well at first then he quit eating and even after a Vet visit, he finally passed. Next was the male Bearded Dragon,(from a small local, not a Petco type, specialized pet store), much better experience, still growing. Next lesson was Crickets, yeah ooh, soon learned about Dubias and started a colony, acquired Madagascar Hissers online just for pets not feeders, all doing well. Then came the Fresh Water Aquarium, did well, just sold it yesterday in order to narrow the focus of our hobby the Kids and I have found. Then we acquired a male Betta, doing well. My Son then brought home an American Toad (Bufo americanus), doing well. We then acquired an Emporer Scorpion, doing well. The Kids latest discovery was the world of Corn Snakes, 2 weeks ago we ordered a 5-6 week old, 12-14 inch, male 2012 Albino/Amelanistic hatchling from Big Apple Pet Supply, having a little trouble getting him to eat so far, even after braining a F/T pinkie, he showed no interest, but after taking him to the small local pet store mentioned earlier, last weekend, they sent me home with a live pinkie which I left in his tank (I know that you want to feed them in a separate tank but under the circumstances I did not want to create more stress), and I believe he ate it, at least I could not find it in the tank, not worried yet, as we have not had him all that long and I have been in contact with with Big Apple. I would like to visually see him eat, just to be sure. Yesterday we adopted 1 adult male approx. 3 y/o and 1 adult female approx. 4 y/o Corn Snake from a local, rural feed and pet supply store. They bought him from a High school student who wanted to breed them and realized he did not have the time it takes. I am trying to get a hold of him to get any info. he has on Adults. I would like to ask your indulgence & try to help me figure out what (Morph?) they might be. I believe both male and female bellies are clear or clean, there does not seem to be any markings, not sure of the terminology. (1st Pic- Orange Adult Male), (2nd Pic-Yellow Adult Female), (3rd Pic- Baby Albino/Amelanistic) Big Apple said Baby is 5-6 weeks old, he measures 12-14 inches and weighs 8 grams. I hope these pics are listed in the correct order. The Adults are doing well so far. I will weigh and measure the Adults after they get settled. I like to keep a note book for each animal in our little petting zoo. The Male ate 3 white F/T mice and the Female ate 4 white F/T mice today, not sure what size mice, (probably 2-3 inches in length) forgot to ask when I bought them with the Snakes, just went off of recommendations of what the feed store was feeding them on a weekly schedule, probably need to up the size of prey. Up sizing prey suggestions would be welcomed. Well, it has been a busy, but rewarding year already, Thank You for letting me share our journey and again Thanks for the sharing of all your knowledge with us beginners.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
aambumann
Would they be Amels

The more I read and look at pics, would I be correct in saying these snakes are Amels?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!