shipping to TX in summer? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Loni01
shipping to TX in summer?

I just wanted to know if anybody has experience in shipping in summer time to areas with very hot temps around 100 degrees like in TX.
I planned to buy more Chameleons and just had an experience with somebody who didn't wanna ship cuz it is in the 90s. What is later when it gets hotter? Is that even possible?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Tim Cole
An experienced shipper should have no problems.

I ship out of Texas all year.

I would avoid shipping if severe storms are predicted.

As long as it is properly packaged with cool packs, a Styrofoam lined box, and shipped over nite or even same day (Delta Dash), they should do fine.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
robyn@Pro Exotics
Consider shipping to a FedEx facility, aka World Service Center. Arrival would be first thing in the morning, and the package would be kept out of the heat until pickup.

In temps above 95, I don't want to have a package sitting on a truck as it spends a few hours making the rounds. Shipping Hold for Pickup to the facility takes that heat exposure out of the equation.

Book it through ShipYourReptiles and you can insure for Live Arrival as well (shipping to the FedEx facility is a requirement for coverage under higher temps).

Old 05-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
hhmoore
Warning: That last sentence is a little too much like advertising, Robyn

Other than that, I agree - shipping to the FedEx facility is the way to go, especially in hot or cold temperatures. I haven't had a live animal delivered by FedEx to my home in years (I made some exceptions with UPS for a while, because they consistently screwed up and sent the box out...but they seem to have gotten their together over the last couple years); and I ship FedEx to FedEx probably 98% of the time.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Jabberwocky Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn@Pro Exotics View Post
Consider shipping to a FedEx facility, aka World Service Center. Arrival would be first thing in the morning, and the package would be kept out of the heat until pickup.

In temps above 95, I don't want to have a package sitting on a truck as it spends a few hours making the rounds. Shipping Hold for Pickup to the facility takes that heat exposure out of the equation.

Book it through ShipYourReptiles and you can insure for Live Arrival as well (shipping to the FedEx facility is a requirement for coverage under higher temps).
Robyn, can you clarify this? Are you saying that Live Arrival Insurance can be purchased for packages held for pickup at a FedEx hub?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Jabberwocky Dragons
Harald, I apologize for continuing the thread down that line. You posted while I was writing my question. Robyn, I'll send SYR an email for clarification.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
hhmoore
With all due respect, let's not turn this thread into a SYR commercial - communicate via PM, or take it to one of the many SYR threads.

Edit: And you posted while I was typing....thank you!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Loni01
Thank you guys, that was very helpful.
I don't know where a Fedex station is because I live in the boonies and the next bigger city is 45 Minutes away. But I guess for the health of the animals I have to find out where it is and go the extra mile.
Today I just had Fedex delivered my first insects. The little Phoenix worms were all dead and the lid from the tiny crickets was open, so from more then 100 I had only 20 left. They all escaped when I opend the shipping box. The bottle flies hatched alraedy from the heat and I think I should order anymore. The driver didn't even honk, he just put the package in front of the yard gate in the afternoon sun (97 Degrees). So my first shipping experience with feeders wasn't that good. I am glad it wasn't a Chameleon.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
hhmoore
From FedEx.com, mouse over the word Ship in the top navigation bar. Select Find Locations. That brings you to this page http://www.fedex.com/Dropoff/start?locale=en_US .

It helps to use the check boxes to narrow the selection - you'll want to check Express Hold at Location, and FedEx Staffed facility. (You'll still get some FedEx office locations - I generally avoid them, but have used them if the distance to a hub is too great)

Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
robyn@Pro Exotics
Sorry about that Harald, it is a fine line between helping folks out and sounding too pitchy : )

Loni- you can find info on shipping to the FedEx facility, including how to locate the closest one to you, in our Get Help section:

SYR Get Help- Shipping to a FedEx facility

JW- I will send you a PM with the Live Arrival Insurance info. If anyone else needs it, just let me know!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!