Rhino Viper question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2004, 12:21 AM   #1
COBRAMAN
Rhino Viper question

We just got these Rhinos in from Uganda, but the one on the left seems much different in color than the other 25. Any comments?

Old 04-30-2004, 03:08 AM   #2
snakegetters
You've already gotten some good answers on the other forums, but I'll hazard a guess here. I have seen very significant pattern and color variants in rhino vipers from the same litter. I have also seen some pattern variants in wild caught rhino vipers that are fairly reminiscent of captive produced Gaboon-rhino crosses.

I have a copy of a paper from the 1950's that describes a wild caught specimen with clearly intergrade traits. This suggests that a certain amount of crossbreeding does happen in the wild, and that there have been Gaboon genes floating around in wild rhino viper populations for a very long time. You may have a simple pattern variant animal or you may have an animal whose great-grandpa was a wandering Gaboon.

In either case it would be very appropriate to have all of these animals very thoroughly checked over for parasites. WC rhinos are particularly prone to lungworms so a tracheal wash is indicated along with a fecal. Do both a direct smear and a float on both samples.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!