provent-a-mite and young colubrids? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
reptilemama
provent-a-mite and young colubrids?

I just found two mites on my female Blue Beauty snake. Checked the boa next door, and yep, there they were, floating in the water bowl. I plan on treating everybody, but I'm worried about the beauties because they're young. Is it ok to use provent-a-mite on yearling or younger colubrids? These guys are still about the same diameter as my pinky, and maybe 2 feet long (maybe slightly longer- they're too squirrelly to measure accurately.) If I shouldn't use PAM, what do I use? Just soaking and thorough cleaning? They're in rubbermaids, so I plan on running everything through the dishwasher. Another question- if PAM is bad for them, do I move them into another room when I treat everyone else's cage? I also have a yearling pueblan milk, who I haven't checked yet. Ok to treat her, too?

Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Shannon,
As long as you follow the directions precisely - you'll have no problems.
Provent-A-Mite is very safe if used properly.

1. Remove the animal and water bowl from the enclosure.
2. Spray the entire enclosure at a rate of 1 second per sq foot of floor space. IMPORTANT - do this in a separate room (or outdoors).
3. Allow the enclosure to air out for a minimum of 20 minutes.
4. Replace the water bowl and animal.

The residual characteristics of Provent-A-Mite will protect the enclosure for thirty days.

I would suggest that you treat all of your animals. If you've found mites within two enclosures, they are probably in the others as well.

Good Luck.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
reptilemama
Thanks, Mike. I've had to treat before, but at that time I only had larger snakes, and I was worried about the little guys. I just ordered some provent-a-mite, so hopefully it will be here soon!

Old 07-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
vscampbell
I have used provent a mite on kings and pines of less than a year and not had aproblem. I should say I used it on their cages. Follow the directions and you're good. Try De Flea on the snakes directly, I got mine from The Bean Farm... works rerally well for direct applications.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Cat_72
Uh.....I had to read your post twice because when you were saying, "PAM", I was thinking the COOKING SPRAY....thinking, wow, that's one I've never heard of...using PAM to kill mites!!!

Sheesh, I need either lots of caffeine or lots of sleep, lol.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!