JCP stopped feeding. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
FuZZ84
JCP stopped feeding.

My '05 JCP stopped eating for a while. He missed the last 2 and then had blue eyes, so I figured hes about to shed so he won't be hungry. He shed like 3-4 days ago and I attempted to feed him today. He still didn't eat. I'm feeding him rat pinkies F/T (of course). I heard that JCP's are picky eaters when dealing with rats, but he took 2 down before no problem. I hope I'm just being really paranoid. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 10-08-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
Junkyard
To help you any, a lot of questions are in order.

What are your temps?
How often did you feed?
What conditions did you use for feeding?
How much time did you allow the snake to have with its food?
What size tank is it in?
Do you feed in the tank or use a separate tank?
What is its substrate?
When do you feed? Daytime or nighttime?

I have three '05 JCPs at the moment, when they arrived one ate for its first feeding here, the other two took a couple of weeks. I found that the two stubborn snakes will eat in a brown bag. Here is the tricky part. I put them in the bag at night with their food and leave them over night, but they do not eat that night. I check on them in the morning just because, I leave them in the bags one more night, that is when they eat. This has worked for me everytime.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
FuZZ84
temps are 87 hot side 77 cold side, i fed him every 5 - 6 days, frozen thawed rat pinkies in a seperate container, i teased the snake with food and he usually takes it, when he didn't i left him alone for about an hour and he still didn't eat it. He's in a 10 gallon tank and i usually feed at night, 1 AM.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Junkyard
What is the humidity?
Do you heat the container when you leave him in it?
Have you tried using mice?

Try leaving him in with food for the entire night, sometimes they may not take until a couple of hours after staring at the rodent.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
FuZZ84
Humidity is 50% - 60%. He's eaten mice before, but I'm trying to get him on Rats (I'll try mice next feeding though). Also the container isn't heated, it's one of those critter keepers.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Junkyard
When it is cold around here I will use one of those $15 under tank heaters. I do not even remove the wax paper to stick it on. I just slide it under a small part of the tank, this is where I put the rodent, with the warmth the snake seemed attracted to it.

When you fed him before did you have to bump him with the pink or did you only dangle and simulate movement?

Old 10-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
FuZZ84
I just dangled it so that he would think the rat pink is still alive and strike at it. Someone told me that snakes usually don't feed as often when it gets colder, but I figured they would be reluctant feeders a little later in the year than now.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Junkyard
Well at the moment I am out of ideas. Even as babies they can go quite a while without eating, I had one baby that did not start eating until it was 6 weeks old, you may even want to try live too, being pinks you do not have to worry about harm to your snake. Maybe someone else can chip in, I hope I have been some help. Let us know when he starts eating again and what the trick was for him. Do you have a branch for him to sit on in his tank and when he is being fed? They are arboreal so he may be comfortable eating on a perch. I actually make little branches out of straws for my JCPs.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
FuZZ84
He has branches in his tank... Im guessing I'll try feeding him in an enclouse with branches. I also havnt actually checked on him eating mice since i attempted with rats only. He should come back to his normal eating habbits (he's a pig of he eats). Thanks for the help though, it definetly gave some extra ideas.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
FuZZ84
Good news!

My snake finally ate, I contacted Robbie Hamper (breeder from whom I purchased the snake from), and he told me to just feed him mice instead of rats since JCP's tend to avoid rats. I couldn't find fuzzy mice though so I bought pinkies. I left the snake in a feeding container and put 5 pinkies in there. I went out for 45 minutes and come back and 4 of the 5 were gone along with a stuffed snake. I guess the problem was rats, thanks for your help though, I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!