Have people's imagination's died? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
MGReptiles
Have people's imagination's died?

I have to say that the business of selling supplies has to be the most cut-throat business in the world. It just amazes me that everytime I change something on my site it also changes on others..lol.. I mean come on, I know they say it is a form of flattery, but are internet businesses really that hard up for business that every move and every situation has to be copied.. From pricing, to marketing, to pictures.. It just amazes me that this "guy" cannot think for himself..lol. I mean when you drive a prices into the ground just to make a sale and have to sell 500 of an item to make a profit, is it worth it? Do you guys run into this in your endeavors?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Lucille
Matt,
it sounds like it is a competitive biz. I do think that competition probably makes the first sale, but do further sales depend on customer service? I know that you have terrific prices on heat tape, but perhaps the slender margin there could be made up on other items when people remember that first sale and come back?
I do not know to whom you are referring that copies you, and I suppose that sort of identification is best done on the BOI, but I personally would not check out other sites if I needed more tape.
Is there something recent that happened, or is this just a general observation on the industry?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
YJHB
Oh, I know...it's ridiculous. Its so frustrating, and it happened to me only once! A well known seller of roaches killed my ability to sell off just my few exra roaches by posting everywhere that he would beat ANY advertised price after I actually started selling some orders. This hurt me to the point where I can't sell them anymore, so now I have to kill them. I was advertising at a price that was much lower than anyone else's (the extremely prolific nonclimbers I was selling really weren't worth the high prices they were fetching).
I thought it was hateful...I'm not even competition, just trying to thin my herd. I like the guy though, he's nice and all.
I can sympathize!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Bill & Amy
Matt,

I think you are right, when people see success they try to copy it. I think in todays markets with so much internet based businesses it will only get worse. Plus with the trends in the job markets, the higher pay good benfit jobs are being replaced with low wage no benefit jobs. Companies outsourcing warehouses to temporary employment agencies and so on. More and more people are trying to sell on the internet. Take Ebay for example, I market an item a certain way and make a nice profit, tomorrow there are 10 people selling that same item the same way I did. Why? Because it was successful! I agree it does get very irritating!! Alot of those people will end up going away after time, because of poor customer service etc. Some will be around a long time. For some reason this person must feel threatened by you and feels he competes directly with you. Just keep customer service number #1, like you already do, and you will keep your customers. I already know where I will continue to get my supplies, because I have no reason to go anywhere else!! Keep up the good work!!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
Oh, I know...it's ridiculous. Its so frustrating, and it happened to me only once! A well known seller of roaches killed my ability to sell off just my few exra roaches by posting everywhere that he would beat ANY advertised price after I actually started selling some orders. This hurt me to the point where I can't sell them anymore, so now I have to kill them. I was advertising at a price that was much lower than anyone else's (the extremely prolific nonclimbers I was selling really weren't worth the high prices they were fetching).
I thought it was hateful...I'm not even competition, just trying to thin my herd. I like the guy though, he's nice and all.
I can sympathize!
I suppose I've been waiting for someone to pull something like this on me at the shows I attend. Something to the effect of "Company X will beat SerpenCo's prices by $5!". Well, yeah, someone can certainly do that. Just as I can reply like this: "Any animals on my table carried by Company X are being sold for free. Sale can end at ANY time without notice." At that point, I will take that sign over to their table and tell them I am buying ALL of their animals plus they owe me a $5 bill per each as per their advertising. When I get back to my tables, I just give away their animals as per MY advertised sale, and the sale ends when I run out of them.

I don't think they will be inclined to do THAT again......

Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I suppose I've been waiting for someone to pull something like this on me at the shows I attend. Something to the effect of "Company X will beat SerpenCo's prices by $5!". Well, yeah, someone can certainly do that. Just as I can reply like this: "Any animals on my table carried by Company X are being sold for free. Sale can end at ANY time without notice." At that point, I will take that sign over to their table and tell them I am buying ALL of their animals plus they owe me a $5 bill per each as per their advertising. When I get back to my tables, I just give away their animals as per MY advertised sale, and the sale ends when I run out of them.

OMG, that is perfect hahaha!

Old 12-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcage
I have to say that the business of selling supplies has to be the most cut-throat business in the world.

Do you guys run into this in your endeavors?
I am not familiar with selling supplies online, but I don't doubt it one bit. I use the same criteria for choosing whom to buy supplies from as I do whom to buy animals from though: When I'm happy with the product/animal, service and ATTITUDE, I stick with them. On a few occasions I've tried out a different source for feeders or supplies, and they usually just make me feel that much more satisfied with whomever I usually buy from.

I still feel rather wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to the online reptile industry and community, and I know I have a lot to learn. However, the main thing that I have been utterly disgusted and appalled at is some of the cut-throat attitudes and behaviors that I have witnessed. It seems to me that these attitudes and behaviors are more prevalent among certain species, too. Like I said though, that's just my experience thus far. For example, and I'm probably going to catch hell for saying this, it seems that these attitudes and behaviors are more common to bearded dragons than say, corn snakes. --Again, just my perception based on my experiences. My same criteria still apply though; I don't care how wonderful and superior Joe Schmoe's animals are or WHO holds him up on a pedestal and worships the ground he walks on--if I get a whiff of cut-throat behavior, I won't even slow down to check out his table or open his ad. Let your product/animals, service, and prices speak for themselves. Competition does not NEED to get ugly.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
MGReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z

Yeah that would work with animals for sure Rich..lol. I have actually seen something like that happen with JCP's. A breeder was selling them 25 bucks less so the other guy bought him out and then just continued to sell them at his normal price.. But with hardgoods its a different story.. Never ending source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille
Is there something recent that happened, or is this just a general observation on the industry?
Well actually both, I watch the classifieds like anyone else to see if I can get a deal on a cage I need or what not and also check out the competitors pricing. If their price is lower, thats perfectly fine as I offer good customer service and a personality, not a dude on the other end of the phone or computer that sounds like I am trying to sell him cable TV..lol..)not to sound cocky by no means!) It just does not make any since.. I don't work for free, well almost..lol..

Its just like some people don't want to work for anything in this field they just want to cut into someone else's success.. Like your doing well for yourself and thats no OK with me because I am not so I must work to take anything from you I possibly can. Madness!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sage
I won't even slow down to check out his table or open his ad. Let your product/animals, service, and prices speak for themselves. Competition does not NEED to get ugly.
I agree completely, like the Basile trash talking every cage maker or thermostat seller in the world.. I just refuse to deal with said person!!

I'm just ranting here(don't get to do that often)...Thanks for listening by the way
-Matt

Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Karen Hulvey
I think it would be bad business and in very poor taste to advertise that you're selling something cheaper than another person and especially to name names.

On the other hand if I, or anyone for that matter, chooses to sell something cheaper than someone else, it's my/their choice and no one else's business.

I was at a bird show two years ago and I priced my quakers at $100 each. I usually charged $150 for them. I had 10 of them. I wanted to sell them as I was getting out of quakers altogether. I also didn't have time to play w/them to keep them tame so I was motivated to sell them while they were still tame.

Another vendor was having a cow over my pricing and actually came over to my table and told me I couldn't sell my quakers for $100 because his were $200! So I gave him a simple solution: Buy mine and sell them all for $200. Then I told him to mind his own business. His quakers weren't very tame and kept trying to get away from people and were flying off the cages. You see his prices were too high and apparently he didn't play w/the birds to keep them tame. That's exactly what I was trying to avoid by selling mine a little cheaper than normal.

When people start sticking their noses in my business, I get ticked. I made out really well at $100 a bird. These birds are really easy to breed, they're not rare and breeder quakers are $30-$40 each. So if I want to sell them for $100, it's my perogative and still no one's business but MINE! Yet this guy fumed all day. I didn't even know he was going to be there. I set my price before I left the house.

On the other hand I have been to shows where people have had animals priced way cheaper than mine. While I was a little bummed because I knew I wouldn't sell many of whatever it was, I would never have the gall to go over and confront someone about it as it's none of my business. I did buy some lovebirds that were only $20 while mine were priced at $60.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!