What? No baby pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
hhmoore
What? No baby pythons

Well, this season was a bust for me.
My male CY spotted python started showing resp symptoms during cooling (before I put him in with the girls). He got warmed up, and I opted not to risk further cooling or exposing the girls. No babies this year.

Nothing from the blood pythons. I don't know what the deal was with the girl I posted pics of not too long ago, but she stayed like that for a few weeks then deflated (no, she didn't take a giant dump)

Sydney, my favorite female jungle/diamond, died during egg deposition...destroying the few she had already passed in the process. I gave away the male and remaining female.

Nothing from the D'Alberts. This was my first attempt at breeding these, so I figure I didn't do something right.

So, no baby pythons for me this year. (luckily, yellow anaconda and ATB babies are close, colubrids are starting to mate, and dumerils babies will be coming in July/August.) I put the incubator away last weekend.

Hopefully, it was a better year for you.
Who bred what this season? If you've got hatching pics, post a few.
(I admit it, I love seeing their little heads poking out of the eggs, lol)

Old 04-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Junkyard
Bummer bro. I too am not going to be looking at any python hatchlings this year. My children's pythons did not produce this year, we were sure she was gravid, not sure why. She stopped eating and put on some size, now she small again and is eating great, maybe she reabsorbed the follicles.

My ball pythons that mated, we witnessed copulation, did not produce. The female never took, she stopped eating and put some size on, but then dropped her size and started eating. We are thinking she reabsorbed those too.

So we are down to our boas, one is definitely gravid, the other two, does not look like they took either. All well, next season may be different.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
jglass38
Sorry to hear! No Ball babies for me either this year. I had to put everything on hold for my move from FL to NJ. The upcoming season should be a good one though!

Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Michael,
I just wanted to mention that you shouldn't give up all hope on the ball producing. I've had balls ovulate very late. As an example, in 2003 I bred two particular females at the same time. They were bred to the same male, rotating between the two every other breeding for 4 weeks or so during Feb/March.
One laid a clutch the end of May. Two or three weeks later the other female hadn't laid so I decided she didn't take. I got home from work one morning in mid August to find her coiled around a clutch she had laid in the night.
The two females were bred at the same time and not with a male after but the clutches were laid nearly 3 months apart. That female also was on feed right up until the first of August.
She is a large bodied ball and you just couldn't tell she was gravid.

I'm still waiting to see how my python production goes this year. I gave the jungle carpets the year off. I'm fairly sure I have at least one gravid woma, and possibly a few ball clutches from pastels and het albinos on the way. Waiting to see right now.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Junkyard
Clay, I will keep that in mind and also keep an eye on her. The two have copulated quite a few times since December. She probably has enough sperm retained to last her for a few years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!