Question for those that are vendors at shows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
chris allen
Question for those that are vendors at shows

I wanted to get some opinions on this......What do you do if at a show someone appears at your table(s) that you have either had a bad dealing with or would just rather not sell to? Is it ok to not sell to them? I just want to get some real opinions if anyone has dealt with this, as there are some people that I would just rather not sell to if I dont have to at a show. thanks chris

Old 11-11-2002, 10:45 PM   #2
Neil Gubitz
Chris.... that's a double-edged sword, pal....
You have every right NOT to sell to anybody you don't want to! That's black and white! But, is a show setting.... that's where the "greys" come in.... You're in PUBLIC! Any person that you actually tell to leave your table(s), will probably end up in a verbal (or worse) confrontation with you.. just be prepared for that.... if that's something you think you can handle, should the occasion arise.... then, by all means..... tell them to take a long walk off a short pier! (which is what you SHOULD do!).... oh yeah.... IMHO!

....Neil

Old 11-11-2002, 10:49 PM   #3
chris allen
Thanks for your opinion....those are my exact thoughts if it is worth it or not, to even get into it with someone would just ruin my fun weekend, but I would also like to be able to just do what I think is right at the same time, LOL, guess I dont win either way.

Old 11-11-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
Neil Gubitz
Chris.... it's all between your ears, man! If you THINK you're doing the wrong thing.... that's the way it's going to come off.... but, if you know in your gut that you're right.... people will see that, too, and probably respect you for not putting up with idiots! I WOULD!
It also doesn't have to ruin your weekend! Make it a game? Pack a lunch?.... seriously, don't EVER be afraid to tell someone that you would rather not do business with them, for whatever reason.... it's YOUR BUSINESS!

....Neil

Old 11-11-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
evansnakes
Two strategies that are applied most often:

1) confrontational not a problem

You just say to the person in a very low key way that you would prefer if they left your area. You have rented that space as a store front for the public hours of the show and have the right to refuse anyone entry to it as long as you are not violating the rules laid out by the show promoter. This way can definitely lead to conflict.I usually go this way as I tend to be too conflict friendly.

2) cool, cool and more cool

I have a good friend who does this all the time. He will be super nice to the person that he does not want to deal with. Every question that they have he will answer in a fashion that will help get them gone, very politley. For example: customer: "do you have any more of those? Is that a female? What kind of deal could you make me?" response: "Oh, sorry. That's the last one. That is a male. I'm really firm on those prices." I have also done this a few times. Usually if you are nice but are answering all of there questions in the opposite way then they want, they will go away quietly. Evan Stahl

Old 11-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #6
John Apple
number 1

Yup Evan I agree with the #1 scenerio
I am a bit of a confrontational individual myself, If I don't like you I get a bit of a nerve, sure my weekend will have a blotch in it but his or hers will be worse. I usually try the low key way and my patience will usually run short if they persist
I tend to have a hard time being nice to people I can't stand or have had a bad experience with.
hell man life is too short to be dealing with a$$h0l3$, this might be kind of harsh but, LIFE IS TOO SHORT

Old 11-12-2002, 08:10 PM   #7
evansnakes
I'm with you John. I thought as I got older I would mellow out, but people seem to compensate by getting more stupid. Evan

Old 11-13-2002, 07:18 AM   #8
Bobby Pruett
With me, thats when that animal just became a display only animal and isnt forsale.

Old 11-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #9
John Apple
Exclamation Good point

Yup Bobby display only animal is a good tactic, I'll try it sometime given my patience holds out and my anomosity doesn't take over.

Its kind of funny though , when dealing with some of these persistant , get in my space ,annoying individuals I tend to love my children that much more....mature they are

I guess its all how some of these respective buyers present themselves..............you know ..as adults or not

Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 PM   #10
dwedeking
"Excuse me I have to run to the bathroom, my wife will take care of your questions" Stupid people wear on my patience REALLY fast.

Also just like when you are looking for a vendor, if they don't answer emails/questions before the purchase you know it's only going to get worse once the purchase happens (if it does). When a customer is a pain before he buys you know it's only going to go downhill if something should go wrong after the purchase.

The best thing is to keep your cool no matter what. While it would suck to have someone going off on you at your booth it would be 10 times worse in your potential customer's eyes (you know, the guy standing there behind the moron) if you added to the scene.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!