Negotiating in ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
polasian
Negotiating in ads

I ran across a classified ad ( http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=172459 ), that played out pretty nicely (IMO). Basically, the negotiations took place out in the open. The deal was initiated, negotiated, agreed upon and finalized...all within that thread. Often times the initial negotiations do take place in ads (i.e. "I'll give you two of my snakes, for one of yours"). However, the deal is usual sealed behind closed doors.

Up until recently, I haven't been browsing the classifieds, so perhaps this is NOT a novel idea...maybe these situations DO often occur . If, however, what transpired within that ad, IS out of the ordinary...then perhaps it might birth a trend?

I see, both, pros and cons with doing a transaction in this manner. The obvious pro is that if the deal goes south, (forcing it to be taken to the BOI) there will be NO he said she said...instead, there will be fact and fiction. I'm sure that both parties would be taking screen shots as the thread progressed (making sure that nothing is edited out). True, images can be manipulated into displaying whatever the editor whats them to display (if the ad has since been deleted). However, if FC permissions only allow the OP to soft delete their ad, then a Mod or Rich can easily pull up the deleted thread, if need be (although, soft deleting would take up a lot of space). On the other hand, if classified ads are hard deleted, then they are lost for good (leaving the screen shots as the only evidence).

The biggest con (IMO) would be that the deal can be interrupted while in progress. Some outside party might jump in and say (using the above ad as an example)..."Hey, I need an albino, and can give you a better laptop (than the OP's)." Someone can also offer up a better trade for the laptop (i.e. "I'll give you and albino AND a het, for that laptop"). However, the two parties involved in that deal are obviously willing to take that risk (for the sake of transparency) considering that they are willingly laying it all out in the open.

Of course there are those who would prefer not to do business in public (for some individuals, prices, stipulations, etc... are better left private). I personally would prefer to do things privately.

There is also the potential of such ads turning into mini BOI threads. People who are not interested in the items (that are being sold/traded), might still chime in (i.e. "why would you trade an albino ball for an old laptop...you can get it at newegg for cheaper." OR "I would get a Mac instead." etc...). Even inquisitory posts of "So...did the laptop arrive yet?" would be a potential headache for the Mods. These type of ads could get a life of their own...and could inherently solicit discussions that don't belong in the classifieds.

So I'm wondering if the Mods and Rich would discourage such open transactions taking place?

I posted this because I think, what transpired within that ad, was a great idea, and others might want to try it . I've never seen such an in-depth, public transaction take place. For those who frequently view the classifieds, do ads often play out like this?

Deb, can you let us know why you decided to keep that transaction public? The above are just my assumptions on what could be going through both parties heads. Hearing your thoughts about this would be great .

Anyway, like I said, I thought that ad was a great idea, (such ads might help keep everyone honest) and am wondering what others think about it.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
polasian
The following is the ad mentioned above (I've asked the OP not to delete the ad, so whoever is interested can check it out). I'm also attaching screen shots...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=172459

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
polasian

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
polasian

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Southern Wolf
I cant say that I have seen it happening all that often in the ads that I have viewed.

As to the public or private negotiations.... that would depend on the price being negotiated. If it was close to 'going market value' then I dont have a problem out in the open... however if we are discussing 'below market value' for say a group rate... then Im doing that in private.

The last thing I want is for someone to see a lower price and then take it even lower. IMO that doesnt do any good for the market... and if I post prices.. they will always be 'going market' or above.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
I used to trust people. I had done a BOI search and came up with nothing, I did an Inquiry and nothing, so I basically wanted us both to be protected.

Hence, I posted the pics of the animal that I was willing to part with, so that there could be no later claims of R.I, or misrepresented animal, or missexed..Not that I think that Matthew would do that...but it was for both our protection and to help him feel confident in dealing with me. Putting my pics up there was a way of saying, "hey, I have nothing to hide...my animals are dime pieces."

So many people have problems just putting up a simple pic, that I sort of also wanted to show that really taking pics that make a person confident in trading with you are simple..hence I tried to:

Give clear pics
Show the "popping"
Show the weight
Show the detail...... you know why? Because putting that many pictures out there one after another in the same setting sort of "kills" the idea of "stolen" pics...scam..etc.

Finally, I guess, it's just my natural medium. I am an email, write, kind of person..I don't do the phone much. Thus it seemed natural to me that since he posted what he had to trade with all the details, to return the favor.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
brd7666
I have seen other people negotiate in public like that as well. I don't have a problem with it, if that is what someone wants to do. As a seller, whenever someone asks a question in one of my ads, I always send them a p.m. There are those times you may not want someone seeing what you may accept as an offer. The week before, someone may have paid more for the same thing, which could upset someone. So for me, I keep stuff private, but always welcome coments or questions.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
Deb that is a beautiful albino and I can understand and appreciate the reasoning behind showing the photos.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Deb that is a beautiful albino and I can understand and appreciate the reasoning behind showing the photos.
Thank you.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Yaz23
I agree with Deborah, putting lot's of pics shows not only that the pics werent 'stolen' from somewhere else, but that it shows many other things as well. Like, passion for the animal because you like to take more than 1 pic of it, not a rush job with 1 or 2 pics, more pics of the snake so buyers dont have to ask for more, and last but not least posting many pics shows the quality of the animal. If your fine with posting 4 + pics of your animal for sale, your showing that its quality and no BS involved.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
negotiating classifieds