Slipped into Brumation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
dragonchick88
Question Slipped into Brumation

Well Aries has slipped into brumation...what r some things we need to do besides make her light cycle shorter?...she just keeps napping in one spot of her tank and not really doing much, she is has normal bowle movements and she was eating a lot and then just stopped and statred sleeping all day and not basking, we figured since she was eating and using the bathroom just fine that she is slipping into brumation..what should we do to make it more natural and comfortable ( I think those r the words I am lookign for...) any info is GREATLEY appreciated...

Old 09-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
hhmoore
I don't currently deal with beardies, and my experience with them is pretty limited...but as a rule, herps don't just "slip" into brumation - it is brought on by a change in conditions. (that is not to say that some will not show seasonal changes in feeding habits.) I would check the temperatures to make sure that they are still appropriate (changes in room temp can have significant impact on some cage set ups, and I know it has sure cooled off alot around here), and check Aries to make sure that it isn't a problem with her. Other than that, I'll let those that know guide you further

Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
dragonchick88
her tank temps havent changed ..we have had her since a hatchling and her temps are still at 105 degrees at her basking site and 86 at cool side. Our home temp never changes, it stays on 70 degrees all year round ( saves on electric bill alittle)...She doesnt have anything wrong that we see externally but the vet said if she is using the bathroom and was eating before she began to sleep it must be that she is either going into it or is trying to go into burmation....

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
hhmoore
How old is she? and how long since she has eaten? Does she respond normally to stimulation? Does she open her eyes when you pick her up? (just trying to get some of the basics out of the way, while waiting for the beardie people to show up)

Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Brenda777
I have been hearing a lot of people saying their dragons are going into brumation earlier
this year than usual.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
dragonchick88
well when we pivk her up she will open her eyes and look at us but she will shut em again. She ate yesterday and was up basking but not for long, she basked for maybe a couple hours and then went under her shade log and went to sleep. She pooped yesterday ( they get baths everyday for about an hr)...she was up for a while ( about an hr ago) but is back to sleep again.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Rebel Dragons
Brumation is different for each dragon. I have no 2 dragons that handle it the same. I learned from and followed all of Dachiu techniques and have never had a problem with brumating dragons. Some dragons sleep like the dead and some just slip into a twilight sleep. You just have to recognize your dragons individual routine and roll with it. Everyone's technique is different and what works for some won't work for others..........

Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
melindaste
My male is 14 months old and he also is in a twilight.Itt started as soon as the temps started to cool off. I am in pennslyvania and it changed drastically here. went from 90's to high 60"s.. he is responsive If you call opening his eyes and giving you a blank stare.. At first i was moving him under his heat he would just go back to the cooler end and sleep.. Im wondering will he want to breed when he comes out? Imnot breeding him this year my feamle is to young.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!