Jungle Carpet Eggs-Pics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
densnake1
Question Jungle Carpet Eggs-Pics

My female jcp layed 15 eggs on 6-12. It is her first clutch and she is going on 6 years old. The eggs don't look good to me, so I wanted to get some opinions. The eggs look the same as when I removed them. Thanks for looking.
Dennis Cook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jcpeggs2006 003.jpg (75.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg jcpeggs2006 004.jpg (80.8 KB, 140 views)

Old 06-17-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
hhmoore
The eggs looked like that when you removed them? That is interesting on a couple of levels. The first question I have to ask is did you find the eggs right away? Generally, the denting/dimpling is a result of low humidity, but once back in an appropriate environment they will look normal within about 48 hrs (there may be some minor dimpling on some of the eggs that doesn't resolve). The spotting, I would tend to attribute to wetness...like condensation dripping onto the eggs, wet/damp incubation media sitting on them, or somebody misting them. The thin membrane on that top egg could be from a variety of factors - ranging from a defect in the egg itself, to a tear caused by separating an adhered egg, to erosion.
The screen under the media makes me think Hovabator, which I personally think is a poor choice for snake eggs (though I know many people use them successfully)...especially if they are not kept in a closed container. With the overhead heating element, the tops of the eggs tend to dry out, while the bottoms tend to go through wet/dry cycles as water is added to the media then dries out. Neither situation makes for promising results.
Of course, this is just based on supposition after looking at the pics and reading your post. I would check them to see if they are fertile/viable (shine a small bright light into the egg and check for vascular development). If you see good vascularization, all you can do is optimize the conditions and wait. They will either hatch or die/rot.

Oh, if they do show veins, I would dab a little WhiteOut on that egg with the thin spot.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
densnake1
Harald, You might want to think about starting SCI, snake scene investigations, because you hit everything on the nose. lol The eggs may have been layed the night before. I found them when I came home from work. I did mist her and the eggs because I was scared they where dried out a little. Two eggs did fall off of the clump when I removed them and rolled over. They probably don't have any chance of hatching. The egg clump was too high to put in a container, I tried. I'll try to cover them so the heater doesn't dry them out. Thank you for answering the questions. These were kind of a suprise. I thought the male was too small. Thanks again
Dennis Cook

Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
densnake1
Well as bad as the eggs look one of them hatched! I'm suprised ,but I think three or maybe four more might hatch. The one that I have so far is nice and fat. :scatter: Thanks for looking
Dennis Cook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthfhogg&jcp 009.jpg (69.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg ruthfhogg&jcp 011.jpg (87.5 KB, 93 views)

Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
hhmoore
Congrats.
From the looks of that pic, most of the visible eggs still look viable.
Let us know the final count.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
AngryEd
Dennis,
Congrats! I'm thinking your'e gonna be getting more hatchlings then you think! It's great isn't it?

Old 08-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
densnake1
Yeah Ed its awesome! As I write this 8 out of the 15 have cut thru. I hope they keep comming. lol I'll try and post a couple of pics later on tonight. I had 10 out of 10 Ruthvins kings hatch out also. Must be my lucky two days. Thanks again for the help.
Dennis Cook

Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
densnake1
I just wanted to let everyone know that every egg hatched, so much for dumb luck.lol
There were also 16 eggs not 15 as I first thought. I hope they turn out as nice as the parents. Thanks
Dennis Cook

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
AngryEd
Good job, you must of done something right to have every egg hatch. My clutch of JCP egg this year looked really bad to me. The eggs appeared sunken (although the humidity was good) and several were discolored. I thought I was gonna have bad luck and I ended up having 19 hatch out of about 21 good eggs. I love baby JCP'S! I can't wait to see the baby pics!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
wow they must be really resiliant eggs! they dont look too good in those first pics, but its amazing that they all ended up hatching! ^_^ congrats!

It must be even more fun to have more snakes that you thought you were going to get as well! Sheesh, i cant wait till this is me making this post!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!