What is going on??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:01 AM   #1
BallKingdom
What is going on???

Has anyone noticed how reptileforums.com and ssnakess.com have started advertising for reptibid, and all those other repti-whatever sites.

It's more then mere banner advertising, it's header buttons all over the sites.

So have those sites been bought by them? Or are they just being heavily paid to re-distribute their traffic over to repti-people's sites?

Old 08-24-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
Quote:
To: inspectorparrot@earthlink.net
Subject: New Buttons on sSnakeSs - 3rd attemp to send this email
Date: Aug 21, 2004 1:31 AM
This is my 3rd attemp to send this email so if it dosent go after this then I will
give up! Sorry if you received this before but my computer crashed while it was
sending so I sent it again!

Re: Important update for sSNAKESs.com registered members

I am sure by now most of you have noticed some new buttons that are at the top of
our sites pages. I am sorry if these buttons have caused some of you to worry but
they were necessary for me to keep this site going. Maintaining this site is very
expensive for me and it cost me much more in expenses than this site takes in. I
agreed to allow these link buttons on our site and in return, the owner of these
other sites has signed a contract agreeing to pay half of the sSNAKESs.com monthly
server bill for at least the next 12 months. In return for the link buttons on sSNAKESs.com
I required the owner ReptiBid.com, ReptiMart.com, ReptiChat.com, ReptiRank.com,
and HerpSearch.com to have a sSNAKESs.com button that links to us on all of their
sites pages. All of these other sites combined have more than 10,000 pages indexed
in Google each with a Google page rank of 5 or higher on all their pages. This
means that sSNAKESs.com now has links on more than 10,000 pages so this should gi!
ve our site a big boost in the search engines rankings after a few months.

FYI: ReptileForums.com has had a change of administration and I asked that the ban
on the word “ssnakess.com” be removed. The new admin did not even know that our
sites name had been banned and when I told him about it he removed it.

sSNAKESs has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years and we are already
one of the largest reptile message boards on the net. With over 6000 thousand registered
members and over 1,000 unique visitors each day, sSNAKESs.com is becoming a leader
in the online reptile discussion community. I would like to thank everyone who has
made sSNAKESs.com a success and I would like to personally thank the moderators
who have helped keep the forum clean and organized. Thank you everyone and take
care.

Their new FLASH chat room is insane, check it out!

Sincerely,
sSNAKESs.com
I doubt they care much but the administrators at ssnakess.com have lost a lot of users because of the crappy server speed on their end... And to fix this they have apparantly allied themselves with one of the biggest scumball crook types in the industry. Ssnakess.com has a lot of tree hugging "petstores are bad and I don't eat meat" kind of nitwits who post there regularly (there are lots of good people too, but there's a sort of subcommunity of herpetocultural martyrs over there)- once they find out that the site is now being paid for by the company responsible for introducing yellow fungus in beardies and selling some of the most emaciated, parasitized, infectuous diseased herps to ever enter the country then it'll start to go downhill fast.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
BallKingdom
Ahhh, ok. That makes sense.

I'd never consider doing that for so little. Well, lets figure this out. The maximum they'd be paying for a dedicated server is 200USD/mo. So Reptibid is probly paying about 100$ a month, 150 at the absolute max. So, ssnakess.com gets a max of 150/mo to redirect all their traffic to repti-sites. Makes sense. Then again... A site as large as ssnakess should have zero problem selling advertisements, they're a very large site. I bet if they were smart they could easily pull in 150-500/mo in advertising alone.

Basically what those flashy buttons say to me is.... "Look at these cool buttons, visit these sites. Even tho the site you're on offers these things, we want you to go here. Screw this site, go elsewhere"

Reptibid is definitely profiting though.

I agree, ssnakess.com is mostly hardcore liberals. Tree huggers, PETA members, vegans, feminists, etc. I was banned there for pissing a lot of people off with anti-pc stuff.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I agree, ssnakess.com is mostly hardcore liberals. Tree huggers, PETA members, vegans, feminists, etc. I was banned there for pissing a lot of people off with anti-pc stuff.
I'm not so sure it's most... just some of their top posters seem to frequently espouse such views and the vast majority of semiregular users with maybe thirty to a hundred posts are overwhelmed anytime such a subject comes up. Those vocal posters will be forced to either denounce the pairing or suffer in silence if someone were to say... Create a thread detailing Fluker's misdeeds.

Quote:
Then again... A site as large as ssnakess should have zero problem selling advertisements, they're a very large site. I bet if they were smart they could easily pull in 150-500/mo in advertising alone.
Without a doubt if they introduced a few banners along the top and sides of a page they could more than generate the kind of money they're likely getting from Fluker. No offense to Rich but after the massive Meltdown of a few kingsnake forums successively ssnakess.com traffic and members increased a lot more than the traffic anywhere else... Fauna caters to a slightly different crowd, it's got a lot of functions and a lot of posts which are designed to be used by people within the industry- ssnakess.com was already prepped for the hobbiest influx when a couple of KS forums went nuclear and, had they responded appropriately, it could have been more signifigant than it was. The server speed on their end was a drawback, since many users were experiencing 502 errors (I think 502, failed connection errors) and superslow load times but this latest move is just shooting themselves in the foot then falling over backwards into a volcano.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
BallKingdom
If ssnakess wants to cry about how expensive an obviously crappy server is, why don't they just move. I know of dedicateds that run as low as 50$USD/mo, and have more then enough to support their needs. Their hosting situation is pretty sad. They're paying out their a$$, for a crappy server that is far over priced, and as a result they have to screw themselves with fluker buttons.

I've heard about flukers and the yellow fungus before. I also heard they've threatened to sue people over them saying it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!