Pink spots on white snake! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
darkbloodwyvern
Pink spots on white snake!

OK, this is here because it may be related to any species. I have a Leucistic Texas Ratsnake who recently had something that looked like scale rot. Treated with betadine and then silver sulfazadine cream in a couple of more irritated spots after seeing the vet. She just shed and has been on REALLY clean newspaper once I realized what the issue was. (I had been gone for the weekend initially and she'd dumped her water and sat in that and poop for the weekend and my roommate is now no longer the one to snake-sit for me when I'm gone, dang it!) Until the vet saw her I was just treating with betadine, which was helping.

She has these spots still that are pink and ruby red but no signs of inflammation now. Does the Silver Sulfazdine cause skin irritation? I'm afraid I may be too paranoid and putting too much on her. Also, she used to have a few tiny spots on her body that looked like these. I always kept an eye on them but they never got bad, just seemed to be discolored pigment spots that showed up more because she is all white. I just did some more research and I'm going to get some plain neosporin to put on her now that the really bad spots are gone and just wipe her down with this. As soon as I saw she'd shed I scrubbed out her cage really well.

Questions:
Should I be bleaching everything in her cage? I'm just paranoid I guess and do it anyways...

Is it better to JUST put neosporin on the colored spots? I don't want to cause more irritation

Is there anything else I can do? Her cage is bone dry but I don't want her to get skin problems from zero humidity either. I've never had humidity or shedding issues with her ever since getting her, or any colobrids for that matter. She came to me in terrible condition with old sheds stuck on her rear but those were only an issue for a few weeks after I got her.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
darkbloodwyvern
Also, I read that if you are using betadine or clorahexidine that you need to rinse it off afterwards?

Do you put on straight betadine in a particular dliution or is it better to soak?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
FireStorm
Neosporin will cause individual scale shedding. IMO sliver sulfadiazine is better because it doesn't. I've never known the SSD to cause irritation. Could you post pics of the spots you are talking about? It might help...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
darkbloodwyvern
Hi there,

I will do my best to get some pics, it is just strange. She seems a little better, but I'm going to start changing her newspaper every day and possibly doing a diluted soak and see if it gets better.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern View Post
Also, I read that if you are using betadine or clorahexidine that you need to rinse it off afterwards?

Do you put on straight betadine in a particular dliution or is it better to soak?
I've always used Betadine as a diluted soak for general disinfection. Neat it is pretty strong, but I wouldn't have thought would cause any major problems.

Oh and I've usually washed it off later, but no real need - as a human skin surgical prep it stays on a long time.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
darkbloodwyvern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I've always used Betadine as a diluted soak for general disinfection. Neat it is pretty strong, but I wouldn't have thought would cause any major problems.

Oh and I've usually washed it off later, but no real need - as a human skin surgical prep it stays on a long time.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I worked at a vets and we would wipe the excess off after a surgery so the animals wouldn't ingest it with trying to lick it clean, but I was figuring my snakes aren't going to be grooming themselves. it doesn't appear to be leaving any stains on her scales currently.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!