Sneezing Retic - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
SPJ
Sneezing Retic

I heard sounds like my retic was sneezing. He eats fine (had 2 large rats on Sunday) and the heat/humidity is fine. There is no discharge from him and he doesn't keep his mouth open. I just heard sounds like sneezing from him under his hide. He has done it last night and I heard it again today. Is this a fluke or does he require vet treatment. I can get him to the vet Friday afternoon if needed but was wondering what you guys might make of this odd sound he is making.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Tripple H Herps
Good chance its a cold. That very common in the (giant snake) breeds. I use a vick humidifer with the proper amount of vicks vapors. I put it in the same room as the snake (not tank). It should go away in about 3-5 days. I leave the vapor machine on for about 6-8 hours a day. This might seem very odd to you, however it seems to work the same way as it would in humans.
Jim

Old 02-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
gmherps
Curious, are you using any bedding?

Old 02-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
SPJ
For the vaporizer, should I use the warm air or cool mist type? I want to make sure I use the right one.

I use cypress mulch as the bedding in all of my cages. Could this be affecting him? I would think my dumerils would have a problem if the cypress was bad since they burrow thru the stuff constantly.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Tripple H Herps
If shredding gets into his nose he might try getting it out by rubbing his nose all over the tank. Or possibly sneazing???? Never had that happen to me so I couldn't tell you. If you always use the same bedding, it probally wouldn't be that. As for the Vicks, I use warm.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
gmherps
Hey Steve, its always been my way of doing things, but while you're trying to rid this problem (even if it is one) I would strip the cage and probably just go with some newspaper for a while. Just try a process of elimination.

I like the vaporizer thing!!

Old 02-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
SPJ
Went to the vet.
He's fine......just vocal.
I'm still going to use the vaporizer for a bitr longer just to be on the safe side.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!