The economy sucks: woes of a post doctoral looking for a job - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
snowgyre
The economy sucks: woes of a post doctoral looking for a job

I've been searching for a job for the past six months. You would think that with a Ph.D. and post doctoral experience in wildlife biology that somebody out there would hire me. Problem is that when the economy tanks, there are three things that get cut first: education, arts, and environment.

There are very few jobs out there right now in my field, and those jobs that are available are inundated with so many candidates that it's virtually impossible to get an interview. I've submitted applications for over 30 jobs and have only received 3 interviews. I wasn't offered a job after any of those interviews.

I'm getting discouraged and moderately depressed. I've worked so hard for so long that I was hopeful that something would be out there for me. But when people hire internally, or when posted government jobs go unfilled because of budget cuts, it's just impossible to be optimistic.

I'll be homeless as of July 31st, and my post doc runs out of money in September. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. It makes me sick to my stomach, really. I've got school loans bearing down on me, and I've got nowhere to go. That railroad bridge downtown is starting to look like an appealing housing alternative. I'm used to camping... I've spent an accumulated year of my life living in a tent, but I don't want to give up my snakes or my current modest graduate student living standards. I like having a roof over my head.

*sigh* Sorry to vent, but I'm feeling the pressure and I need to release it somehow.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Lucille
I am mindful of great actors and actresses who worked for times as restaurant assistants while waiting for the break that would launch them into the career they wanted.
It does no good to tell you that your plight is not uncommon in today's economy, so I will tell you what I know: You have a good mind and, at least here, you are well spoken. Your education did not turn you into a pot holder or a teacup, objects that can only be used for very particular purposes. You can decide where you want to live, and what sorts of things you could do in order to get food on the table, and then with persistence, as the economy gets better, you can work toward what your schooling prepared you for, or more wisely, what makes you happy and fits your gifts and talents.

And, what you reallly need is a hug, because all this is a bummer. So here it is:

((((((((((((Vanessa))))))))))))))))

Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
April Homich
I agree with Lucille - I'm working in fields completely unrelated to my many years of education right now. It happens, and I hear you about those fields getting cut - I know people in biology related jobs that are getting laid off, and a lot of universities (including here) are losing funding and not filling positions. For now, I would take what you can get and try to make that work until things turn around. I know it's not what you spent all those years preparing for, but it'll keep you going for a while until something comes up.

My second job is just kind of a spending money job working under the 'casual temp' title at the UofM - I've had that title for almost 10 yrs. :P I just do office work and now database development. We are hearing quite regularly that we need to decide who/what is needed, and who's just nice to have that we can do without. I'm already doing some of the work of full time people who were laid off. The cuts keep coming though, and I worry that my job won't be around that long. Because of that, I take in way more than I can do in the hours I'm allowed because I don't want to lose my job. I can't complain though. My full time job may not pay well, but it is pretty secure.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I've been searching for a job for the past six months. You would think that with a Ph.D. and post doctoral experience in wildlife biology that somebody out there would hire me. Problem is that when the economy tanks, there are three things that get cut first: education, arts, and environment.

There are very few jobs out there right now in my field, and those jobs that are available are inundated with so many candidates that it's virtually impossible to get an interview. I've submitted applications for over 30 jobs and have only received 3 interviews. I wasn't offered a job after any of those interviews.

I'm getting discouraged and moderately depressed. I've worked so hard for so long that I was hopeful that something would be out there for me. But when people hire internally, or when posted government jobs go unfilled because of budget cuts, it's just impossible to be optimistic.

I'll be homeless as of July 31st, and my post doc runs out of money in September. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. It makes me sick to my stomach, really. I've got school loans bearing down on me, and I've got nowhere to go. That railroad bridge downtown is starting to look like an appealing housing alternative. I'm used to camping... I've spent an accumulated year of my life living in a tent, but I don't want to give up my snakes or my current modest graduate student living standards. I like having a roof over my head.

*sigh* Sorry to vent, but I'm feeling the pressure and I need to release it somehow.
You cant just work at mcdonalds for a short period to help with the bills while looking for a higher paying job?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
snowgyre
McDonald's won't pay for rent and school loans at the same time. It's either one or the other, and I'm running out of forbearance time with my loans since I have three degrees and there's only one free 6 month grace period that I already applied after my M.S.

I'm sure something will turn up, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. It'll be just insanely depressing if I have to move home with the folks again because I can't afford rent and debt at the same time.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
garweft
Not sure who your loans are thru, but the federal ones have an income based payment option. I worked at Walmart (part-time) for a few years after grad school, and right now I'm an adjunct, without the income based I'd have defaulted long ago or been homeless.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Chance
Have you considered looking into teaching? With your degree I'm sure you could find a job teaching biology or something like that. At least in this state, you don't have to have a certificate to begin teaching, just at minimum a bachelors. You'd have three years to get certified. The pay isn't lousy, especially compared to a crap job like McDs (no offense intended) and you can't beat the time off. Better yet, teaching science or another high demand area for 5 years in a Title 1 (aka poor) district entitles you to loan forgiveness currently for $17,500 and hopefully moving up to $25k soon. I know it won't wipe out your debt, but it would put a dent in it.

Just food for thought. If you want to pursue it I suggest you get started ASAP though. Districts are probably filling positions quickly.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
JColt
Kid next door got his engineering degree. Worked at toys r Us for 3 years before getting a job in his field 90 miles from here.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
snowgyre
Well, as luck would have it, a grant fell into the lap of another professor here and he gave me another post doc. It was totally a case of being in the right place, at the right time, and knowing the right people though. Joe, I can totally empathize with your next door neighbor. The current market is horrible for people trying to start out. I feel insanely lucky.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Lucille
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!