Nasty egg - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
redarms
Nasty egg

My last clutch of the season was 5 eggs from a black pastel het hypo girl. 4 were fine and dandy and one was about half the size plus a boob egg. This egg had a good bit of mold on it toward the middle and end. I thought it wouldn't make it the whole time, but it was the first to pip out of the clutch. Her mates were out so I thought I'd cut and inspect.

It was twisted up around the fleshy wad shown, she may have been stuck, but was disconnected from the "yolk". It crawled out from the flesh wad shown. I'm wondering if it could have been a twin also and the one didn't form? The snake seems fine just really light at 25 grams. I'm really just wondering what this fleshy wad is. It doesn't seem like yolk it's really fleshy, I squeezed it and white puss came out. I haven't seen anything like it. I've seen pictures and videos of breeders removing the neonite and tieing off the umbilicus but it doesn't seem to be goupy like an egg yolk would be. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000178.jpg (81.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000177.jpg (65.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000180.jpg (82.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000179.jpg (64.3 KB, 105 views)

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Reptile Frenzy
Almost looks like egg yolk gone bad? In the top pic, the little blob at the bottom looks like good yolk but the rest just looks like crap. If it is alll attached together i would say its a bad yolk but i have never seen it do that before...

Old 09-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
redarms
It was really fleshy, I was thinking maybe a fungus got into the yolk and fed off it and grew with the snake. The baby has a swollen belly and a little remnant of umbilicus. Hopefully it makes it, it's been pretty active. Sorry about the cellphone pics. I was inspecting the mass further and it just slid right out of the egg. I held it, it was firm and fleshy, kind of like a mushroom and was actually shaped like one too, but I think that may have been due to the neonite taking up the space.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Reptile Frenzy
Just keep an eye on the little fella and make sure you get food in him pretty quick since he is so small.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Pasodama
I lean more toward its being an undeveloped twin.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Robert Walker
Disgusting as always, just looking at the picture makes me think of the smell, gag. Good luck to your little guy.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
One of my corns laid her eggs in her hide, I let them incubate in the cage and added moisture as needed, I didn't realize the ones on the bottom got way too wet. Long story short, after the rest hatched except the two on the bottom, I cut those two open and found something very similar, the mass appeared to me like a severely underdeveloped embryo (it had died in the egg early in development).

Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
redarms
It actually didn't smell too bad, and the baby's swollen belly is receding but it lost a gram. Its umbilicus is off and closed. I thought up real close I seen some eye pigment. This one will be a miracle baby, boob egg, half the size of a normal, moldy! undeveloped twin and no defects. Fingers crossed!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
redarms
Quote:
Originally Posted by redarms View Post
It actually didn't smell too bad, and the baby's swollen belly is receding but it lost a gram. Its umbilicus is off and closed. I thought up real close I seen some eye pigment. This one will be a miracle baby, boob egg, half the size of a normal, moldy! undeveloped twin and no defects. Fingers crossed!
I meant eye pigment in the mass.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!