Flexwatt heating system? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
ShaunMAuth
Post Flexwatt heating system?

Recently aqquired a few kingsnakes and building a rack. Thinking of using flexwatt heating for belly heat. I have concerns about overheating, size of flexwatt tape, rheostat no rheostat. Any info you can give me would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
hhmoore
For kingsnakes, you really won't need more than 3" tape, which runs 10w/ft. You MUST use some sort of controller (thermostat/rheostat), because FlexWatt gets HOT, and, unregulated, it will have the floor temps at 130. Should you opt to use a rheostat, remember that changes in room temp will cause subsequent changes in your enclosure temps. Unlike a thermostat, you must be plan on adjusting the settings regularly. Another thing to consider is that some models (or individual units) may not be sensitive enough for your needs...meaning that their "turn on" point does not reduce the power sufficiently to get the temps as low as you want them. (I have encountered this while using rheostats - as soon as the setting was high enough to warm the tape, it ran at 90+ degrees)

Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
ShaunMAuth
the flexwatt tape i am thinking of using is 6 watt per ft. 3in wide tape any experience with this wattage ?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
hhmoore
I know it is available from some places (don't think I have ever seen it for sale,though), and that the temps are lower...but I don't know the "normal" operating range. I have heard people say that they can run it unregulated...but those have been boid keepers.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Casey Hulse
you can also get 4" 8w per ft. this or 3" 6w would be fine, the 3" 10 watt gets very warm, esp. when it is between the shelf and a tub.
Any of these used as belly heat should be used with a good thermostat in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
ShaunMAuth
Could you suggest a good thermostat that i can use on 4 tubs? Or do i need to get a thermostat for each one.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Casey Hulse
If you have the $$, you can't beat either the Helix DBS1000 or the Herpstat by Spyder Robotics, these are both $100+ and are proportional. You can get a nice on/off style for about $70-$80 or a "workable" on/off for $25-$40. You should be able to run the entire rack with 1 thermostat, and if you build an identical rack in the future, and have it in the same area of your snakeroom, you should be able to run that also. Most of the therms. handle approx. 500watts max.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
ShaunMAuth
Thanks

thanks everyone for the input I got the A-419 with night drop now i just have to wait for it to get here

Old 10-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
Casey Hulse
Quote:
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks everyone for the input I got the A-419 with night drop now i just have to wait for it to get here
What is that? Who makes it? Thanx.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
Casey Hulse
Quote:
What is that? Who makes it? Thanx.
Nevermind, I see it is a Johnson.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!