Weights in ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
David Reid
Weights in ads

So, I will ask a simple question and respond with my answer later....

What would you think if you saw an 08 pair for sale and the weights were a bit over 300 grams and a bit over 400 grams?

Dave

Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
hhmoore
Assuming that I am seeing those '08s now, in 2010 - I would think that those animals were either poor feeders or had been low priorities, and I would close the ad and continue my search elsewhere...just as I did recently when I saw similar numbers.
I know that some breeders/sellers maintenance feed to reduce costs, but when a snake is two years old the value of the morph has declined anyway...when younger animals are bigger AND less expensive, people need to open their eyes and realize that its a poor business plan.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
SnakeGirl3
My thoughts are that one or more of the following is true:

1) The seller is lying and the animals are actually '09s rather than '08s.
2) The animals have not been well cared for/fed properly.
3) The animals are very sick, and have been regurging meals (and not just a few--a whole lot).
4) The seller has no clue how to care for the animals.
5) The seller is a scam just trying to make a quick buck.

In any of the above cases, I'd close the ad and move on. I'd definitely question purchasing and adding a sick snake to my collection of healthy ones.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
R. Eventide
I'd definitely move on 'cause...there's something wrong. Or there was something wrong.

I have a Jan. 2009 Woma who has feeding issues, and she's ~300 grams. At best, the snakes are picky feeders; at worst, they're very ill.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
David Reid
I agree with what has been stated by you guys. First off, maybe they wrote 08 and meant 09, but that is a big maybe. If they are infact 08's, those weights are way to low. I will not speculate on the reason, but there are many, and none of them would make me want to purchase the animals.

Dave

Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
The Python Lab
08's is a rather large blanket. There's a big difference to an early 08 and a late 08. I think it would pay off to be more specific when posting an animal for sale. Luckily I've never had an animal that was that picky of a feeder. I've had a few that were sporadic on rats but thrived on mice and asf's. Bottom line those are still low weights, but I wouldn't be quick to chastise someone or label them as someone who neglects their animals. That does happen from time to time on here and things are not always as they seem.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I held back a lot of 08s~ my best feeders are in the 900-1100 gram range~ the worst feeder is in the 300-400 gram range. So~ as other said~ poor feeder, poor care, or lieing seller.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
Briscoe007
I'd be concerned, but it would depend on what the entire ad said.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Jack of all trades
Good rule of thumb in my book for internet dealings is. If it doesn't feel right and there is any question about the person don't do it. There are great deals everyday if you look. A deal is only as good as you feel about it.
Gary

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!