HELP ! TO ALL CHAM. KEEPERS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Cameleon Col
HELP ! TO ALL CHAM. KEEPERS

I have a prob. with a Male Juv. Sambava, I noticed that either side of where he does his motion(poo!) he has a small skin like tag. I thought it was shed skin stuck, but no, I tried to take them off, and it was like as if it was conected to his inside???.. I have'nt had this happen before? any idea's? my nearest vet who does reps. is approx. 30 miles away, but my local vet said he will look at it, but no promises re-treatment. CAN YOU HELP???.. I thought it looks as if he's strained himself? he's still eating o.k. but not seen him empty himself yet in 2 days??. I am getting a little worried.

Col.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
rjarosek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleon Col View Post
I have a prob. with a Male Juv. Sambava, I noticed that either side of where he does his motion(poo!) he has a small skin like tag. I thought it was shed skin stuck, but no, I tried to take them off, and it was like as if it was conected to his inside???.. I have'nt had this happen before? any idea's? my nearest vet who does reps. is approx. 30 miles away, but my local vet said he will look at it, but no promises re-treatment. CAN YOU HELP???.. I thought it looks as if he's strained himself? he's still eating o.k. but not seen him empty himself yet in 2 days??. I am getting a little worried.

Col.
Those sound like sperm plugs. They should drop by themselves but can get stuck. You can also pull them out without a problem. I would like to see a picture if you have one.

Its nothing to worry about at this point.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Cameleon Col
Hi Ryan,("rjarosek") THANKYOU Soooooo....much for your info re-my prob. with my male Sambava Cham. Well, I must say I am gob smacked with your reply, I have never had this happen before, I feel such a idiot not knowing now. I'll take your advice and see if they will drop out themselves, as I said I did try pulling them off, but I got nervous/worried when it looked as if I was pulling out his inside, so to be safe I left alone untill I got advice. Ryan, you have prob. saved me a vet bill, THANKYOU VERY MUCH MY "FRIEND" :-)
You learn something new every day with reps. Experince I have found is the best way to learn, but can be expensive with the vets bills, unless you talk to fellow friends who have reps. RYAN, "YOUR A STAR MATE", CHEERS,

REGARDS, COLIN :-)

Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Cameleon Col
Ryan, if I can I will try to get a photo sent to you, but may be after the 12th Sept. when I return from New York.

CHEERS MATE, Col.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
LauraB
A "small skin like tag" could also be a prolapsed hemipene and not something you should try to pull off, especially since you already tried and said "it was like as if it was conected to his inside".

Until you can get proper medical attention, the affected area should be kept moist and very clean. If it is only a sperm plug, then extra humidity, misting and even a warm shower (on a plant) in the tub might even help.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Cameleon Col
Cheers Laura for your info. I have seen a "Prolapsed hemipene" and to be honest it does'nt look as bad as that.(at the moment) My mate had a Cham. with that prob. and as you say, it was a vet job. However, I'me not taking any chances, if things don't improve, I will see a vet. I have highered the humidity, after reading up about "sperm plugs", giving more warm sprays, and cleaning the affected area. I will keep all you guys updated about how I get on. At the moment he is going about his daily wandering/climbing as normal, and he has eaten. THANKYOU, TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR YOUR ADVICE. You guys in the States are "TRUE" friends.

Regards, Col.

p.s. "Laura", I am a big time Black Sabbath fan, seen Ozzy 3 times in the U.K.
Check your tattoo spelling of "Sabbath".

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
LauraB
Quote:
At the moment he is going about his daily wandering/climbing as normal, and he has eaten.
That's a good sign, Colin

I had a male Sambava who prolapsed probably 4 times over a 3+ year period (and also had other neurological problems not readily apparent when I purchased him as a 3-month old). It was always scary and I always felt terrible for him.

The tattoo is not mine (thank God!). Any ink on my body is without flaw, LOL. I saw that misspelling and thought it was just so funny on that guy... and the reason I am "hard coer" and not "hard core" And yes, BS is ageless; great stuff!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
LauraB
PS - speaking of avatars, nice photo of George Best! My Irish grandfather (from Cork) idolized him

Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Cameleon Col
Hi Laura, GEORGE, WAS AND ALLWAYS WILL BE THE "BEST" EVER AT M.U.F.C. :-)

Regards, Col.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!