Shipping in winter? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
snowgyre
Shipping in winter?

Disclaimer: Please keep this conversation civil. I am asking these questions on good faith, and I don't want people to either not answer or be dishonest if people get on their ethical high horses. Thanks ahead of time! If any of you would like to answer some of these questions privately, please feel free to send me a PM.

I've noticed that although it's even too cold for me in Georgia to ship reptiles out that a lot of people in more northern climates are continuing to do so. As a general policy, I don't ship unless overnight lows are greater than 40 degrees. Obviously, it would be convenient if I could ship in winter, because I would have a larger market for the majority of the year, but I'm just not sure how people are successfully shipping reptiles out right now.

If you guys don't mind, I would love to hear how you handle winter reptile shipping. Here's a few questions that are most immediate in my mind.

1. A lot of people don't ship in winter because they're worried that any potential delays with the shipping company could result in a dead animal. I think this is a reasonable concern, so how do you deal with this? Do you have a large enough business that your shipping company "looks out for you", so to speak, and if problems do arise you can get them solved in a timely manner? I'm wondering if this is an advantage that only the big boys have.

2. I use 1/2" foam insulated boxes with 48 hour heat packs if necessary in fall and early spring. What do you use to ship your animals out with?

3. Have you ever had a DOA during the winter season?

4. Do you feel more comfortable shipping cool-climate reptiles (like crested geckos) during winter than hot-climate reptiles (like bearded dragons)?

Thanks for your input! I've just always wondered how people manage to ship at this time of year.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I've personally never shipped anything in the winter months (never had enough to worry about doing so). I have though received animals in winter. One of which was an animal that was accidentally sent via overnight saver, so it did not arrive until 5pm. The animal also arrived without heat, with temps topping out at 32 that day and the animal appeared to be doa. Upon arrival I warmed the animal up and he slowly came to, recovering, growing and eventually breeding. With all of that said I personally do not feel that is a practice that is necessarily safe for the animal/s but hearing the argument against heat packs (neuro issues from overheating, and death) I can understand the reason some people feel safer going this route.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
hoppingherps
when I used to breed dart frogs I would ship them out almost all year long except for the super cold times or if the destination was going to be too cold for me to feel comfortable with it. I still ship geckos and snakes during cold months, but I use styrofoam specimen coolers during the coldest months with either heat packs or phase 22 gel paks. The phase gel is more expensive, but keeps the temps at very good levels. Overall you can never be too cautious with shipping in extreme temps, and if you feel its too much of a risk then don't do it. On another note I did receive a pair of green and bronze auratus from someone in the past that did not even tape the heat pack so I ended up with fried frogs. I am here to tell you that having proper placement of your heat packs can be very important during these colder times, and if the box is larger 2 should be considered.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
chamgirl99471
I have shipped and received animals during the winter but not the coldest part of the winter. It's extremely important to have a WELL Insulated Box with Heat Pack/s taped to the top or the sides of the box depending on the size. I try not to ship when the temps are below 35. I haven't had any DOAs, as of yet, but it's bound to happen at some point in time. It also helps to keep track of your package, therefore if there is a delay then you are on top of it in a timely manner. Proper packaging is the key in any shipping whether it be in the middle of winter or the middle of summer. There's always risk involved.

During the winter I use at least one heat pack and if the package is larger, two. I also use 3/4 inch Therma Board, which is a type of isulation which seems to keep the temps more consistant. Plenty of packing material around the animal and in the deli cup/snake bag so the animal has sort of a blanket. This also helps to keep the animal from getting bounced around too much during transit.

I'm only a Hobbiest so I'm more concerned for the animals safety then the money

Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Focal
Last animal I shipped was about a month ago and I used 3/4" at the buyers request. Definitely made me feel better and I'll never use anything else. He sent me back a hatchling in the neatest little insulated box. It was a solid styrofoam box with a fitted top and was made by Uline. If I can find these next time I'm ready to ship, I will definitely use them.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
snowgyre
Thanks for the input, everybody. Very good information. I do have 1" styrofoam boxes, I guess I just worry about shipping delays. I've never had an issue, but if a problem does crop up the margin of error is less when temperatures are extreme.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!