Here's your sign! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Here's your sign!

Feeding time today, so I get everyone's meals to thawing and they're all worked up for a feeding now.

All is well, going down the line, opening the cage doors, dodging over zealous attempts at being first to feed. Here you go, now back inside with you, next.

Down to the last two. TAZ and MJ. TAZ is in the cage with the largest opening, and most room to maneuver, for a reason. But she's been super mellow about her feeding lately, so I got complacent.

First rule when feeding wild animals...DON"T get complacent. Never treat reptiles as if they are tame. They are wild, and instinctive, and will act accordingly under certain circumstances. DUH!

So I didn't use the long tongs, and instead opted to reach in and dangle it for her. I even know better then to do that, but like I said, she's been mellow, and I let myself slip. So she over shot the prey, angled upward to the warmest object, my wrist, and chomped on good.

I felt that, but what hurt was when she pulled her entire body up and around my wrist, and gave it a little twist for good measure. She smells rat, and has something warm after all.

So there I am, all alone, (BTW, that's the second rule I broke. ALWAYS have a second person handy when handling larger snakes, because shit just naturally happens)so there I am, 7 ft of hungry Honduran wrapped around and hanging from my arm, saying out loud, "I knew you'd get me one day, but did it have to be during a feed response?"

Naturally, I reacted by snatching a vice like grip on her neck with my other hand before it gets hidden in the coils, but when I did, she decides to put a "twist" on things, and the thumb on my free hand slips inside her mouth, and she decides to put a chomping on that as well.

So there I am, 7 ft of Honduran Boa coiled around and latched onto my right wrist, and my left thumb trapped in her mouth as well, reaching for my alcohol spray bottle with my right hand, as best as she'll let me anyway. So I manage to fumble it off the shelf, and turn it around somewhat, to try and give her a squirt in the mouth, when she decides to let go, and I squirt myself in the face instead since it threw my aim off. Good thing I didn't get it in my eye.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TAZ Bite.JPG (185.4 KB, 64 views)

Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
SPJ
Ouch!
All in all though, it looks like you got off pretty easy for letting your guard down.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Good God Rick!! I make it a point to never laugh at another persons pain, but since you're alright...

Thanks for the cautionary (but very enjoyable) story paisan!!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Metachrosis

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Hell, even I laughed while I was typing it out. Had to share it with others.

Would have been a little worse if MJ got me. She's a brute. Much thicker and at least twice as strong as TAZ.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Laura Fopiano
Snicker, snort, snicker.....bahahahha.....sorry couldn't resist! Been there before my friend. I just didn't take pictures!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Well, it's the first time she's actually got me, so I needed a memorial.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Matt2979
Hey, if you're gonna do it, do it RIGHT!!! Since it's no worse than it is, I can't help but LMAO!!! I've got a $100 that says you'll be on your toes NEXT feeding!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
It's not bad. It's a little puffy and sore, but I've had worse.

Yep, I use the long tongs next time.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
densnake1
Sorry Rick, but I had to laugh when I was reading the thread also. I think its happens once or twice to all of us. Take it easy.
Dennis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!