random colds? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
TacticalMorphs
random colds?

I got a question. Do balls randomly get colds? My temps as are day room temp 80 with tape at 90 durning the daybelly and back. humidty is at 60. Night room temp 72 heat tape 82. I ask because one of my normal girls is showing signs of RI. with mucus comming out and constant yawning. she is in a diffrent room now to be safe. It seems like every 3 months its a new snake with a sickness like ri. any input? Its starting to get frustrating.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Araidia
Maybe it's too cold at night? They shouldn't be getting sick all the time and I've never heard of one having a cold. Try keeping the heat tape on higher at night, it shouldn't get colder than 80 on the cold end maybe 78 if your cooling them. Raising the humidity a bit should help too. Make sure what your using to measure everything is accurate too. Good luck, hope no else gets sick.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
mikeyv1230
How long has it been going on? If its cyclical it could be mold. Take a snake to the vet for a culture to determine if its RI

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
P&A Pythons
72 seems to cold. My cool ends never drop below 80. It could be mold issues could be any number of things really. How often do u clean and disenfect. What are you using to disenfect.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
P&A Pythons
Also make sure your not handling your sick girl before messing with others. Also deal with sick last for day.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Matt2979
Instead of going by what your heat tape is set on, see what kinds of reading you are getting inside the tub (over the hot spot and on the cool side). I keep my heat tape at 94-95 on a couple of racks in order to get 89-91 inside the tub.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Ballpythonsnakes
I had a simular issue a few years ago when I moved into a new house. My snakes started getting sick every other month. I was using cypress mulch with a hot spot of 92-94 and an ambient of 82-84. After 6 months of living there 4 of my snakes got sick. The vet told me to change substrate, while changing I noticed small spots of black mold on some of the mulch I was buying. I changed to unprinted news paper, now 3 years later all is good, no sick snakes.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
GREGORY J HALL
Too cold raise temps night should not drop that cold

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Araidia
Yea it could be mold. And make sure you keep everything very clean. I could be wrong but I read somewhere that some of the bacteria that can cause an RI grows well in dirty water bowls so just make sure everything cleaned frequently. And i think it's most likely a temp/humidity problem but I did have one snake years ago show some mild RI symptoms from an allergy, at least according to my vet lol. After multiple panicked vet trips and cultures turning up nothing he figured she might be allergic to the bird who was kept next to her cage, they're very dusty and as soon as I moved her to another room it went away. Make sure just in case there's nothing in the room or their bedding that can irritate them.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Bells
Wheezing or any other symptoms always comes and goes with bacterial RI's. This often leads the keeper to think the snake is getting better, only to have symptoms return. If you have a chance (or can make it happen otherwise) you need to look at the snake's mouth/throat inside. What color is it? Any sign of mucous in the throat? It should be nice and pink and no sign of mucous. With RI's the mouth is often greyish and mucous can be seen far back in the throat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!