Unsatisfactory shipping from a breeder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:40 PM   #1
midnightline
Hey guys... I received a snake in shipment today.
The snake is an absolutely gorgeous hypo motley male,
who's a very sweet temperment as well...
So what's wrong? spam_He was shipped inside a SOCK instead
of a snake bag. spam_No padding in the sock either. spam_As a result
he suffered quite a bit of scale damage...

What bothers me is that the breeder was a guy who
came highly recommended and had no bad post about him
previously. spam_I don't want to send the snake back, as the
damage will eventually heal, and I have breeding plans for him.

What do you guys think I should do?

Here are the pictures of the snake and shipping materials.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
midnightline
Here's pics of the damage...

I'm unsure if the damage in pic #3 is due to shipping
or whether it existed prior. spam_It's actually a chip out of
the belly scale, with belly skin exposed. spam_There's another
bit of belly scale damage, but I couldn't get a good pic of it.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
midnightline
Almost forgot... my name's Kat Hall

Old 08-09-2002, 04:58 PM   #4
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Well for one thing, you need to use your full name in the post otherwise it will get deleted.
As far as the condition on your snake you received, well I can sey the sock is not the best container for a snake to be in but it is just about the same thing as a snake bag. I don't know about the no cushion in the sock but it appears there is plenty in the box.  Unfortunately sometimes scale lifting like what happened to your snake happens in shipping. It is not a life threatning thing, they will go back to normal without a problem. as far as the scale in pic#3 it does look like an old wound and the pic does not show any belly skin exposed.  
If you look at pic #3 there is another cut scute to the left and up a little. That kind of damage does not come from shipping and I think you might be looking to far into this snake almost like your trying to find more things wrong with it. I understand wanting a perfect snake but there is nothing wrong with that snake that will no go away in a short period of time. If you want to discuss with the shipper some kind of possible refund on the scale lifting ok I can understand that, but also if your not happy with the snake return it for a refund.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
midnightline
The pic doesn't show the chipped scale area very well (and yes the belly skin DOES show if you look at the snake in person), however if you think I'm being overly concerned with that part, then I'll drop it... my main concern (as the title stated) was the way the animal had been shipped... in a sock.  I've received adults before, in snake bags, and none had any scale damage that I noticed.  This guy has extensive scale damage along the neck area.

As the title states, I'm not unhappy with the snake, just unhappy with the damage he received during shipping.

Kat Hall

Old 08-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Ok Understood.  Then discuss it with the seller about your unhappiness with his shipping method. I am sure this person will make it better by you. If they do not then I would come back on her and discuss it more.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #7
blkmagic
I would have to agree with Rob if your happy with the snake and it's just the shipping that is bothering you I would talk to the shipper on it. Other than that it looks like a nice snake and the scale lifting will go away.

Old 08-09-2002, 06:36 PM   #8
midnightline
*nods*  Well, it looks like I'm overreacting a bit then, and I'll let it go...  I just felt very sorry for the poor snake when he came out of his sock, and it probably went to my head. :/

-Kat Hall

Old 08-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
HerpUtopia
I'm not posting to intentionally make waves, but really - how intelligent do you need to be to know that a snake will be injured like that inside a tube-sock? The lose weave of the threads on the inside BEGS for this damage to occur. spam_A reasonable snake bag is made from a high-thread count fabric, not tubesock, for crying out loud.

Even if you asses this to be "temporary" damage I think it is entirely out of line to EVER keep a snake in a tube sock, let alone ship it that way. A needle and a yard of fabric can be had for a couple bucks. A suitable deli container for pennies. You can ship a pretty large snake in the right sized plastic container if you are too lazy or hard-up to use a proper snake bag.

Contact the seller? Sure, be a good samaratin and try to educate them a little, but by all means, post their name and/or site so we know who not to buy from. Thanks!

^Curtis Brown

Old 08-10-2002, 01:39 AM   #10
HerpVenue
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not posting to intentionally make waves, but really - how intelligent do you need to be to know that a snake will be injured like that inside a tube-sock? </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Well I would have had absolutley no clue.....
But thanks to this post now I know.

Luckily I do not use socks...But come on...
how many people out there actually kneew this would happen?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!