Exotic Pet Ban - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Angry Exotic Pet Ban

Hi I am doing a research paper on the ban of exotic pets and I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me toward some sites with good opposing points to the bans. Thanks so much

Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
tandy4000
Well, you're on one of those sites now. Just wait a little bit and I think you'll get quite a few good opinions on the topic from some members. As for other sites, check if your school has access to the Power Library. Its an online library of sources that have been checked for accuracy. It has a lot of scholarly articles and articles on opposing viewpoints.

My personal thoughts on the matter are that most exotic pets have strict dietary and habitat requirements that not everyone knows about. Example, inexperienced person buying a baby reticulated python has no idea how big it's going to get. My second point is that a certain number of exotic pets are endangered and are smuggled into the country, thus endangering wild populations. I believe both the above points are valid, however, a ban on exotic pets is taking the matter too far. People buying exotic pets in areas that the governing agency is worried about the pets should be allowed to have the pets as long as they have the required permits and passed a test showing their knowledge on the animal.

Sorry, that wasn't quite against a ban, just my 2 cents.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Junkyard
I am trying to think of a good website and the place that popped up to me was right here in the Herps in the News forum. There are a lot of articles about bans on exotic animals that Clay Davenport has found, he provides the links to each website. I have a few responses there myself.

Ferrets and sugar gliders are banned here in California, these are a couple of sites that push to raise the bans on them:
www.petswithhands.com/California.htm
www.ferretsanonymous.com/

Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Hi I am doing a research paper on the ban of exotic pets and I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me toward some sites with good opposing points to the bans. Thanks so much
I think what you are requesting is still a bit broadbased, though it may not seem so at first glance. Exotic pets is a pretty generic term which encompasses not only herptiles (insects and arachnids are often lumped in with this group, for some reason), but a wide variety of mammals and birds as well. Also, the bans are not even close to uniform. In any given state there can be numerous such bans at the county, or even township, level...and they can be directed toward specific animals, or encompassing the spectrum of unusual or dangerous pets. There are even different "degrees" - ranging from full bans, to size limitations, to permit/license requirements.
Unfortunately, what you will find in opposition to the bans tends to be highly opinion based (much like the process the brought the bans into existence in the first place, lol), but you will find references to verified facts. Things that are frequently brought up in opposition are: individual rights, enforcement issues and costs, the number of people killed/injured annually by dogs and/or horses, as compared to whatever animal is being targeted; the number of a specific type of animal sold annually, vs the number of incidences, etc. Unfortunately, these things can be difficult to locate because they are not typically discussed on forums, which tend to show more of the emotional responses to proposed legislation...while the bulk of the serious opposition finds itself directed to the lawmakers involved (though I am sure they get piles of the uneducated crap that seems to abound when the masses are tweaked)

Personally, my favorite statement in opposition to the bans is that "Government cannot regulate stupidity." (A statement made by me to both local and state legislators, as well as in online discussions...usually following, or followed by, supporting comments and examples). In any case, like gun control, exotic pet bans only impact the honest, conscientious keepers - the people that don't care about the rules will have them, and there are countless examples in proof of that.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
old guy
Unfortunately

I don't think one can find concrete info on opposing bans of opposition easily. Because most pre bans are submitted bills and or proposals and without a whole ( I said it before ) a lot of knowledge by the hobbyist before hand. Our state proposed and now moving forward ban was conceived years ago but it took a attack by a large feline to push it recently. The only method of opposition was petitions ( in which I never have had much faith in as to actually working ) and a few private exotic owners showing up at state wild life meetings/workshops and voicing opinions. I remember our proposed Missouri state ban with several herp people including the Kansas City Herp Society as delicates against and the lobbying wolf/hybrid wolf keepers delicates. The wolf keepers turned the meeting into a shouting match i understood. While the ban on herps didn't go all the way through, we came to a meeting of the minds with keeping but with restrictions. I said it before but there are enough township and city laws in place already and a state law in most cases is not warranted. Also there are " legalities " in most states for the keeping of exotics. If one does not want to go through the legal way, then us " legal " keepers are in jeopardy. I agree with some one else as to the enforcement issue. Like handguns and fully auto weapons, these bans can never be enforced entirely ! More ?..............

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!